[ASC-list] Recognising creativity; internationalising science; and media training for scientists

Tamzin Byrne tamzin at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Sep 16 06:58:26 UTC 2013

Dear ASC-ers,

As the government changes it's a good time to remind Canberra of the power of science to transform society.

Fortunately, it's 'prizes season' so there's lots of good news about remarkable researchers and their achievements.

This week, the $25,000 Centenary Institute Lawrence Creative Prize for early career biomedical researchers has opened for applications. There are several other science prizes open right now including the NSW Science and Engineering Awards.

Prizes are a great tool for mentoring researchers and reaching the media. Last week's Eureka Prizes got lots of media interest: vaccines to stop mosquitoes spreading dengue; lighter armour for our troops; a 'Zebedee' which can map mines, caves and forests while you walk.

Please consider whether you know suitable candidates and forward this onto them. Most winners of science prizes don't self-nominate. They're pushed forward by their peers and supervisors. You can see more upcoming science prizes via the calendar on the Inspiring Australia website<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001V7MN15gxz3kshwO9DxD1BA8qLMILNcwlOWTnnMMuZcEmwFhYD1cjtNr8nDuSIiCfSQajk-LqySVS7uvQ4nXamkMqhb43WFA-2jWsAVc7pK9ZEZz3-tIBTC2PBgR8juVS7_IH5yJf9Qc=>.

Our colleagues at EMBL Australia are continuing their mission to internationalise Australian research with a series of visits by Japanese researchers to Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra and Sydney. We're also keen to identify Australian researchers with significant collaborations with Japan.

And finally, here at Science in Public we have media and communication training workshops<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/training> coming up in Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. We can also help scientists and science organisations with planning or implementing science communication strategies, events, launches and media releases.

Read our whole bulletin online at: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/stakeholder-13-sep-13

Cheers,
Tamzin

________