[ASC-list] Trust us, we're scientists.

Tamzin Byrne tamzin at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Sep 26 23:52:52 UTC 2013

I agree - all experts demand a level of trust from the rest of us.

But we also expect that journalism, politicians and others will have skills (or skilled advisors) to help them evaluate those expert claims.

The bigger problem I think is that while it's assumed that an educated person will have a basic grounding in law/economics/politics, there's no encouragement to develop a broad understand of science. But we still demand that people be able to critically evaluate scientific ideas.

For example, I read a profile of the author of a journalism textbook yesterday. He was asked which undergrad degrees or co-majors were useful for a journalism student. He answered: law, politics, economics, philosophy, history, literature or sociology. No mention of science.

But then the next question was about this issue of 'balance' in science reporting, and he said that a good reporter should be 'weighing the facts and the evidence' before coming down on one side of the argument. He was not at all anti-science, but he did expect that a journalism student would have the skills to analyse science without having recommended that they study it.

Link to the article at: http://ame.sagepub.com/content/22/2/237.full.pdf+html

Tamz

________
Tamzin Byrne