[ASC-list] hungry science beast on radio.

Niraj Lal niraj.lal at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 3 20:43:21 UTC 2014

Friends, scientists, earthlings,

Lend us your eyeballs! And possibly your vocal chords...

Do you have a burning, aching, perhaps even bruising desire to
communicate science? Do you long to break the shackles of science news
reporting? To cut the red tape of grant proposal requirements? To eschew
the formulae of science press releases?

Well then have we got the thing for you!

Hamish Clarke and I are recording short, snappy pieces of clear and
simple science --> http://tinyurl.com/hungrysciencebeast

Robyn Williams even played them on the Science Show!  Which we know is
small peanuts for many on this list, but we're super chuffed:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/hungry-science-beast-for-radio/5337680
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/hungry-science-beast-for-radio-pt2/5352872

And now we're looking for like minded souls...
If you'd like to join us, send a clip of some simple science or drop us
a line.

Sweet!

- Nij and Hamish
http://tinyurl.com/hungrysciencebeast

***********_
_Not yet asked but possibly future Frequently Asked Questions:
_
What is Hungry Science Beast_?
The ABC's Hungry Beast was created by Andrew Denton with the simple
remit to "tell us something we don't know".  Hungry Science Beast does
this with science things, on the radio.

_Why is Hungry Science Beast?__
_The science world is awash with news of fantastic cutting-edge
research.  This is massively important, but the level of public
scientific understanding is often a few orders of magnitude behind the
advances at the frontier.  How can we change this? By explaining simple
science things.  Getting the info out there that the universe is
insanely amazing, but understandable also... There are bucket loads of
ways to do this - but we reckon simple clips through radio is a good
place to start.

_Where will Hungry Science Beast go?
_Out on radio. Robyn was lovely enough to play us on his ABC show with
the possibility of future clips.  Hamish and I get stuck into community
radio in Sydney and Canberra.

_You're just some more goddamn keen bean science communicators wanting
to spruik what they do_
Yeah!

_

--
Dr Niraj Lal <https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/lal-nn>
Australian Renewable Energy Agency Postdoctoral Research Fellow

http://tinyurl.com/hungrysciencebeast