[ASC-list] Time for ASC to step up, after CSIRO disaster

Philip Dooley phildooley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:13:53 UTC 2014

CSIRO today began unveiling the way it going to achieve >30% cuts to
its Communications staff.

CSIRO has been the powerhouse of science communication in Australia
for a long time - in fact CSIRO communicators were integral to the
formation of ASC, so it is a tragic day to see such savage cuts among
our friends and colleagues.

This is a time for the ASC to step up. A large number of communicators
will now be looking for jobs, considering the next career move, and
trying to mold a future. ASC as a professional body has a big role to
play in assisting those people. So I'm going to make some unsolicited
suggestions (entirely personal opinions!)

For CSIRO people:

1) ASC has a pretty excellent members website: community.asc.asn.au.
Login, make yourself a profile. Have a look around at the other
members, see whose career looks interesting, and contact them to
discuss how they got there.

2) ASC has a LinkedIn Group.  Get in on it. Look at people's profiles
as per (1). Get in the Facebook group. Follow #ASC

3) Pester your local committee to organise networking nights *.
Better yet join the local committee and make it happen.

4) Ask someone interesting/experienced to mentor** you.

For the Rest of Us

1) Ensure your members profile is up to date so you can share your
experience with people. That site again: community.asc.asn.au

2) Join the ASC LinkedIn group - oops update your profile too

3) Organise networking nights* through your local branch.

4) Offer to mentor** someone: Send an email to the list, or post on
LinkedIn, Facebook, twitter etc.

As per 4 - I've already accrued one mentee today, but there is still a
little room on my dance card. Look up my LinkedIn profile to see if my
career is interesting to you.

Warmest regards to you all
Phil

* I can recommend the networking format that we used in ACT last
month: 3 x 5 minute talks from sci com professionals about some
snippet of their work. Then plenty of time at the bar to discuss and
chat.

** If you don't know how mentoring works, a quick look on google will
give you some ideas. Bear in mind it is a relationship agreed to by
two people, and can happen in many different formats. Just have the
conversation and agree to your own rules of engagement (goals,
frequency, duration etc). Typically the mentee should make it happen,
as they stand to benefit most from the interaction. But I reckon the
mentors will learn from it too...

---
Dr Phil Dooley
Science writer and presenter