[ASC-list] CSIRO cuts - can we start to measure them?

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Apr 28 11:35:37 UTC 2014

Dear ASCers,

CSIRO is in a lot of trouble. But how big are the cuts?

Is there anyone out there with time and access to find out?

I think it would be illuminating to plot CSIRO's total appropriation budget and total staff numbers from the Second World War or even better since 1926 and see which governments have overseen the largest growth and largest contraction in our national research organisation.

This won't be a perfect measure. But it would be a start.

The easiest source I think would be the CSIRO annual reports. Someone may already have the numbers in a spreadsheet?

I don't have the time, nor access to the documents. Do you?

Feel free to rely off-list.

Niall
________

Niall Byrne