[ASC-list] Public Lecture on the Gold Coast: Transport Innovations with Dr Matthew Burke

Jayne Keane jayne.keane at qm.qld.gov.au
Fri Aug 8 01:48:33 UTC 2014

GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY LECTURE SERIES
<http://app.griffith.edu.au/sciencesimpact/rsvp-dr-burke-lecture/>[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/fb488b2946af979e99330c12e/images/9d8f250e-a0f3-4382-8bd3-6edaa170e2db.jpg]<http://app.griffith.edu.au/sciencesimpact/rsvp-dr-burke-lecture/><http://app.griffith.edu.au/sciencesimpact/rsvp-dr-burke-lecture/>

With the recent launch of the G:Link light rail system on the Gold Coast we thought it only fitting to offer Dr Matthew Burke's recent public lecture on Transport Innovations a repeat performance on the Gold Coast. You are invited to attend:
Transport Innovations:
How transport projects and policies are changing our cities and changing our way of life

In the last two decades Queenslanders have created world leading transport projects that are now being copied around the world. Cities such as New York and London have introduced linear river ferries similar to Brisbane's CityCat system. Our fully segregated busways have been influential in changing bus rapid transit designs elsewhere. And our wildly successful active school travel programs are decades ahead of US practice. Drawing on research conducted at Griffith across cycling, public transport and road systems this lecture will first look at a range of recent transport innovations and how they are changing the places we live and in turn our culture. It will then peer into the near future to look at what might be the next set of innovations, what impacts they may have on Australian cities, and what it might mean for our way of life.

Dr Matthew Burke is a Senior Research Fellow and Australian Research Council Future Fellow at the Urban Research Program at Griffith University. His research is mainly in how transport systems, land uses and travel behaviour interact. Matthew's transport research and interests range across freight, metropolitan planning and transport policy, through to ferry, light rail and busway systems planning and design, and walking, cycling and children's travel programs. His Future Fellowship is looking at the impacts of the new Gold Coast light rail scheme.

Feel free to distribute this invitation to your colleagues and friends.

When: Wednesday 20 August, 2014, 5:30 – 6:30pm
Cost: Free networking drinks and canapes after event
Bookings: Seat reservations required<http://app.griffith.edu.au/sciencesimpact/rsvp-dr-burke-lecture/>
Venue: Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus G42 - 4.23
Free parking will be available upon registration

REGISTER HERE<http://app.griffith.edu.au/sciencesimpact/rsvp-dr-burke-lecture/>

******************* Disclaimer *******************
The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information.
They may only be used for the purposes for which they were supplied.
If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message
or attachments is strictly prohibited.
The privilege of confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
If you receive this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
Please note: the Queensland Museum carries out automatic software scanning, filtering and blocking of E-mails and
attachments (including emails of a personal nature) for detection of viruses, malicious code, SPAM, executable programs or content it deems unacceptable.
All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals as outlined in the QM Privacy Plan.
Personal information will only be used for official purposes, e.g. monitoring Departmental Personnel's compliance with Museum Policies.
Personal information will not be divulged or disclosed to others, unless as required by Museum Policy and/or State or Commonwealth Law.