[ASC-list] Australia Day honours and awards, and women in physics: physics in February

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Feb 3 05:54:05 UTC 2014

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the AIP President. Here’s a taste of what’s in this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/february-2014>.

Kind regards,
Niall
________

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Already, 2014 is shaping up to be an interesting year, in terms of both discoveries and the political and funding environment in which we operate.

But it’s great to start with a triumph, so we congratulate Professor Bruce McKellar who was named a Companion of the Order of Australia in the 2014 Australia Day honours. With his achievements in theoretical physics and his continuing contributions to scientific organisations here and overseas, this is an honour richly deserved.

For the AIP, this year we want to reinvigorate our Women in Physics programs. Physics has traditionally been a field dominated by men, and we must work to redress the deeply-rooted gender imbalances that prevent career advancement.

We’re also building connections with women working in physics overseas. Former AIP president Cathy Foley regularly attends the International Conference on Women in Physics. We’d like to support other women to join her this year in Waterloo, Canada.

Finally, more congratulations to Cathy and her fellow AIP member Prof Min Gu, who both received awards from the Australian Academy of Science.

And some of the items:
VCE Physics at Luna Park Days
Tue 4 Mar – Thu 6 Mar 2014
18 Lower Esplanade, St Kilda, Vic
Bookings are now open for the Physics Days at Luna Park, including an aerobatic display by one of the RAAF Roulette Team and an optional excursion at the Australian Synchrotron.
Graphene: deep physics from the all-surface material
Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6.30pm
Macquarie University, Building E6B, Herring Road, North Ryde
In this public lecture, Michael S. Fuhrer from Monash University I will try to give a sense of why graphene, a single atom-thick plane of graphite, has sparked, and continues to generate, such excitement in the condensed matter physics community.
Astronomical events in 2014
Astronomy this year is looking up, with two lunar eclipses – including a total eclipse on 8 October – and a partial solar eclipse on 29 April.
2015 Year of Light
On 20 December the United Nations proclaimed 2015 as the International Year of Light. Stay tuned as the AIP and our cognate the Australian Optical Society plan to promote the importance of light in society.

More details at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/february-2014
________

Niall Byrne
Creative Director, Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>