[ASC-list] Perth Lecture Event: Reaching new heights in astronomy - The European Southern Observatory

Pete Wheeler pete.wheeler at uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 12 06:45:23 UTC 2014

G'day all,
in a few weeks time the Director General of the European Southern Observatory will be visiting Perth. The European Southern Observatory (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world’s most productive astronomical observatory.

ESO telescopes have made some of the most significant astronomical discoveries of recent times, including the supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy, the most distant gamma-ray burst, the Earth-like planet Gliese 581c and the most distant galaxy ever seen by humans.

In this lecture, Professor Tim de Zeeuw, Director General of the ESO, will describe ESO’s current suite of programs, the telescopes that make the discoveries possible and what’s on the horizon for one of the world’s premier astronomical institutions.