[ASC-list] Melbourne Event - Future Day - 1st March 2014

Carly.Siebentritt at csiro.au Carly.Siebentritt at csiro.au
Wed Feb 26 03:52:58 UTC 2014

Posted on behalf of Adam A Ford. Please contact Adam directly with questions or visit the website:<http://%20fd2014.scifuture.org> fd2014.scifuture.org <fd2014.scifuture.org>

Join the conversation on Future Day to explore the possibilities about how the future is transforming us.

Why Future Day<http://futureday.org/>? Is it just another excuse for a holiday? Is it about a nerd fetish for pop scifi?

The past has a tendency to dominate human thinking — all too often we let our lives be driven by habit, cringe at the prospect of change, and grow too comfortable with status quo, like frogs in a pot slowly coming to boil.

History is an invaluable resource of examples of what to do and what not to do. Things go best when we accept the past, learn from it, and move on.

Since March 1st 2012 Future Day has gone global with events<http://futureday.org/events-2/> being held in many countries and online!  The last two years have seen Future Day events in Australia, China, the US, Europe, Central and South America, Africa, Second Life and more.

So why Future Day?  Humans love rituals. Holidays provide a fantastic way of channeling peoples’ attention and energy.  Celebrate Future Day each year to smuggle into people's lives an ongoing opportunity for focus on inventing the future. Let's create the context in which our intended futures thrive - and not just stumble into some default, unintentional future.

If you'd like to help create the conditions for deliberate futures that you really want: join in at the Melbourne Future Day Even<http://www.meetup.com/Science-Technology-and-the-Future/events/164542582/>t<http://futureday.org/events-2/>, or even host your own!

Melbourne website: http://fd2014.scifuture.org<http://fd2014.scifuture.org/>
Melbourne meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Science-Technology-and-the-Future/events/164542582/

Contact: Adam A. Ford (tech101 at gmail.com<mailto:tech101 at gmail.com>)

Cheers, Carly

Carly Siebentritt
Inspiring Australia Project Officer for Victoria
National Science Week Victorian Coordinating Committee
CSIRO Education | PO Box 56 Highett VIC 3190    |  Graham Road Highett VIC 3190
Phone:   +61  3  9252 6472  |   Fax:  +61  3  9252 6256
E: carly.siebentritt at csiro.au<mailto:carly.siebentritt at csiro.au> | W: www.re-science.org.au<http://www.re-science.org.au/>

PLEASE NOTE:

As I am not in the office everyday it may take me a few days to reply to your email.

To the extent permitted by law, CSIRO does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or
that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or
interference.

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential or privileged.
Any unauthorised  use or disclosure is prohibited.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately.