[ASC-list] Simon Singh

Tamzin Byrne tamzin at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Jan 14 22:46:16 UTC 2014

Simon Singh is awesome. And he is coming to Melbourne: http://vicskeptics.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/simon-singh-the-simpsons-in-melbourne/

________
Tamzin Byrne
Science Communicator
Science in Public

-----Original Message-----
From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of Kaye Hargreaves
Sent: Tuesday, 14 January 2014 7:36 PM
To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Simon Singh

I am so jealous! I love Simon Singh. In addition to the books you mention, he also wrote "The Big Bang" which was excellent, and more recently, "Trick or Treatment", which was about alternative therapies. It followed on from the debacle about his comments re chiropractors claiming to be able to cure ear infections and asthma in children by doing spinal manipulations.

The book looks at the evidence for a variety of therapies. He concludes that acupuncture relies on the placebo effect. Very interesting history about Mao, health policy in China, Nixon's visit and falsified scenes in the operating theatre. He is such a hero to speak what he believed to be the truth, and stand up to vested interests when he got pilloried and taken to the cleaners.

Is he speaking anywhere else? Like Melbourne, for example?

Kaye

"There is much to learn about dogs. There is also much about people to be learned by studying dogs." Clarence Pfaffenberger, 1963