[ASC-list] FW: Online event: Let’s talk about sex – getting the message out to teen girls [THU JAN 23rd at 11:00 AEDT]

Susannah Eliott Susannah at smc.org.au
Wed Jan 22 01:42:40 UTC 2014

Dear ASCers,
I thought some of you might be interested in this briefing since it has a strong science communication angle – a teen mag (Girlfriend) teaming up with a scientist (QUT’s Prof Alan McKee) to get sexual health messages out to teenage girls. Feel free to tune in (just a reminder that it is a briefing for journalists and we need to prioritise questions from news reporters, so if there are lots of Q’s coming through from journos we might not get the chance to ask Q’s from others, though we will try).
Cheers
Susannah

Dr Susannah Eliott
CEO - Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC)
Ph: (08) 7120 8660 | susannah at smc.org.au<mailto:susannah at smc.org.au> | smc.org.au<http://www.smc.org.au/>

The Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) is an independent, not-for-profit service for journalists, working to improve links between the news media and the scientific community. We aim for a better informed society with greater access to evidence-based science. The national centre is supported by a wide variety of sectors with each contribution capped at 10% of total running costs. For a full list of current supporters visit our website.

Australian Science Media Centre
BRIEFING ALERT:  Let’s talk about sex – getting the message out to teen girls
NEWS BRIEFING – Thursday January 23rd at 11:00 AEDT
Recently released stats revealed that many sexually transmitted diseases are making a comeback in Australia, particularly among the young, but they’re a tricky group to reach with safe sex messages – after all, which parents don’t dread that ‘birds and bees’ chat? Recent research suggests it’s not just STIs that parents don’t want to broach with their kids - some girls said they knew nothing about puberty by the time they had their first period.
To help teenage girls learn about sex, Girlfriend magazine is releasing a special edition this week that draws on the findings of a research project into sexual health communication, and is co-edited by Professor Alan McKee, a QUT expert on the media’s impact on healthy sexual development. As well as sexual health, the magazine will include sections on mental health, body image and relationships.
Join us for this online briefing, when Alan will be joined by Sarah Tarca, Girlfriend’s Editor, to talk to journalists about the challenges involved in reaching teens with information about sex, and why Girlfriend has decided that teaming up with scientists is the best approach.
The briefing will discuss the following issues:
·         How can we improve sex education, both at home and school?
·         How much do young people know about sex?
·         Are they taking the precautions they should be?
·         Why did Girlfriend magazine decide to team up with scientists?
·         How can Girlfriend help?
·         What is the focus of the special Girlfriend ‘Guide to Life’?

SPEAKERS:
·                     Professor Alan McKee, Program Head of the Promoting Healthy Sexuality Development Research Group at the Queensland University of Technology

·                     Sarah Tarca, Editor of Girlfriend magazine

DATE: Thu 23rd Jan 2014
START TIME: 11:00am AEDT
DURATION: Approx 45 min

JOINING ONLINE:
Journalists can follow the briefing online via audio and video streaming.  Each presenter will speak for 5-7 minutes followed by questions. Journalists will have the opportunity to ask questions online.
1. Go to the briefing web portal by clicking here 5 minutes before the start time or anytime during the briefing<https://aussmc.webex.com/aussmc/onstage/g.php?d=860448362&t=a>.  Alternatively go to smc.org.au<http://www.smc.org.au>  and follow the links.
2. Enter your name and email address
3. Click "Join".
If you are having difficulties logging in, we suggest you try pasting the link into a different browser.
(System requirements: You will need a broadband connection and speakers/headphones to hear the event. Allow 1-2 mins for your computer to be configured correctly, install ActiveX, if asked)
PHONE ONLY ACCESS:
1. For phone only access please call: 1800 049 813.
2. Enter access code 860 448 362#. Wait for the prompt and press #.
Radio stations can also record the briefing over a phone line. If you would like to make sure that you can connect, please contact us to arrange a quick test before the day.
If you have any problems joining the briefing online, phone Webex on 1800 493 239 quoting event number 860 448 362.
Audio files will be posted on our website at smc.org.au<http://www.smc.org.au> as soon as possible after the event.
For further information, please contact the AusSMC on 08 7120 8666 or email info at smc.org.au<mailto:info at smc.org.au>.
Date issued: 22 January 2014    AEDT = Australian Eastern Daylight Time
NB:  The AusSMC generally runs two different types of media briefings:
NEWS BRIEFINGS – Where new research or data will be released as part of the briefing
BACKGROUND BRIEFINGS – Where experts discuss an issue which is in the news or an issue we consider newsworthy, but no new research or data is being released

Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC)
Street address: The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Postal address: PO Box 237, RUNDLE MALL SA 5000
Ph: (08) 7120 8666 | info at smc.org.au<mailto:info at smc.org.au> | smc.org.au<http://www.smc.org.au/>
Follow us on Twitter<http://twitter.com/AusSMC> and Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/AusSMC>

The Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) is an independent, not-for-profit service for journalists, working to improve links between the news media and the scientific community. We aim for a better informed society with greater access to evidence-based science. The national centre is advised by a Science Advisory Panel and governed by a Board of Management. It is supported by a variety of sectors with each contribution capped at 10% of total running costs. Foundation sponsors are the ABC, APLNG, CSIRO, CSL Ltd, Fairfax Media Ltd, Flinders University, the Govt of SA, Inspiring Australia, iSentia, News Corp Australia, New South Wales Govt, RiAus, the State Govt of Victoria, the University of Melbourne and UNSW. Sponsors are Arup, BHP Billiton, Johnson Winter & Slattery, SBS, Sky News and The University of Adelaide. For a full list of current supporters and affiliates, visit our website.

Disclaimer: Please note that any views expressed are the personal opinions of the experts named. They do not represent the views of the AusSMC or any other organisation unless specifically stated. The AusSMC attempts to provide a range of views from the scientific community.

The AusSMC can help journalists find an expert on a topical area of science. If you do not wish to receive further emails from the AusSMC, please reply with “Unsubscribe” in the Subject.