[ASC-list] QLD Event: Transport Innovations with Dr Matthew Burke 22 July

Damian Harris damian.harris at griffith.edu.au
Tue Jul 1 05:03:50 UTC 2014

 Free Public Lecture Transport Innovations: how transport projects and
policies are changing our cities and changing our way of life

In the last two decades Queenslanders have created world leading transport
projects that are now being copied around the world. Cities such as New
York and London have introduced linear river ferries similar to Brisbane's
CityCat system. Our fully segregated busways have been influential in
changing bus rapid transit designs elsewhere. And our wildly successful
active school travel programs are decades ahead of US practice. Drawing on
research conducted at Griffith across cycling, public transport and road
systems this lecture will first look at a range of recent transport
innovations and how they are changing the places we live and in turn our
culture. It will then peer into the near future to look at what might be
the next set of innovations, what impacts they may have on Australian
cities, and what it might mean for our way of life.

When: Tuesday 22 July, 2014, 6:00 – 7:00pm
Cost: Free
Bookings: Seat reservations required
Venue: Brisbane Square Library, 266 George St, Brisbane, 07 3403 4166

Register - http://www.griffith.edu.au/events/impact-lecture-series

Dr Matthew Burke is a Senior Research Fellow and Australian Research
Council Future Fellow at the Urban Research Program at Griffith University.
His research is mainly in how transport systems, land uses and travel
behaviour interact. Matthew's transport research and interests range across
freight, metropolitan planning and transport policy, through to ferry,
light rail and busway systems planning and design, and walking, cycling and
children's travel programs. His Future Fellowship is looking at the impacts
of the new Gold Coast light rail scheme.

--
*Damian Harris *
Communications and Marketing

E: damian.harris at griffith.edu.au