[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne, Wed 16th July 6:30pm - Tim Murray "Archaeology and Science: An enduring relationship”

David Vaux D.Vaux at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Jul 8 05:10:41 UTC 2014

Free, all welcome (booking not needed). Bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, located in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)
Wednesday 16 July 2014, 6:30 pm

Professor  Tim  Murrray
Charles La Trobe Professor of Archaeology, La Trobe University
“Archaeology and Science: An enduring relationship"

Histories of archaeology all acknowledge that the foundation of archaeology as a distinct discipline in the 19th century  was closely linked to developments in science, particularly in geology and taxonomy. Over the last 2 centuries this relationship has become even closer with contributions from chemistry, physics, zoology, molecular biology and a host of other sciences now playing a major role in the creation and analysis of archaeological data. In this lecture I will discuss the broad field of archaeological science through examples of (among other things) research in dating, the reconstruction of ancient environments, and human evolution. I will also reflect on the importance of archaeological questions in the development of scientific disciplines such as molecular biology and genetics.

Tim Murray is Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at La Trobe University. He joined the Archaeology department in 1986, and appointed to the Chair of Archaeology in 1995. He has also taught at the University of New South Wales, the University of Sydney, Cambridge University, the University of Leiden, the Université de Paris I (Panthéon-Sorbonne), the Ecole des hautes etudes en sciences sociales (Paris) and the Institute of Archaeology, University College London. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London in 2003 and Fellow of the Academy of the Humanities in Australia in the same year.

Forthcoming talks:

 Wed 20th Aug         Assoc Prof  Melanie Bahlo, Bioinformatics, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute

 Wed 17th Sept        Professor Roger Daly, Chair, Dept. Biochemistry, Monash University

 Wed 15th Oct           Grace Davies, National Student Representative, DEA (Doctors For The Environment Australia)

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

 Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>

http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/