[ASC-list] "Research staff" - who are they?

Kirsten Gottschalk kirsten.gottschalk at uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 07:19:18 UTC 2014

Hi Tamzin,

I think it comes down to personal preference. I just tend to use 'researchers' to encompass all the people who aren't admin, communications or support staff. (I don't usually use research staff because that to my mind cuts out PhD students).


On 10/07/2014, at 3:16 PM, Tamzin Byrne wrote:

Dear ASC brains trust,

A question for y’all: in describing the staff who work in a research organisation, who falls under the ‘research staff’ umbrella?

Is it just those employed as qualified scientists? Or would you include lab technicians and PhD students as well?

And if not – is there another phrase which captures all those people whose work directly contributes to research outcomes?

I’m basically looking for a phrase to describe all those staff in a research organisation who are not in admin or support roles.


Tamzin Byrne
Science Communicator
Science in Public
ASC-list mailing list
list at asc.asn.au<mailto:list at asc.asn.au>

Kirsten Gottschalk
Outreach and Education Officer

Ph: +61 8 6488 7771
Mobile: +61 438 361 876
ICRAR: Discovering the hidden Universe through radio astronomy

www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/> | Subscribe to ICRAR's eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe> | ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar> | ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://www.lists.sublimeip.com/pipermail/asc-list/attachments/20140710/53266b9e/attachment.htm>

More information about the ASC-list mailing list