[ASC-list] "Research staff" - who are they?

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Jul 11 22:57:23 UTC 2014

In casual writing I reckon research staff can cover everyone doing/directly supporting research including techs and PhD students.

In more formal writing I'd say research staff including PhDs.

And how is our Nairobi office?


From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of Tamzin Byrne
Sent: Thursday, 10 July 2014 5:17 PM
To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
Subject: [ASC-list] "Research staff" - who are they?

Dear ASC brains trust,

A question for y'all: in describing the staff who work in a research organisation, who falls under the 'research staff' umbrella?

Is it just those employed as qualified scientists? Or would you include lab technicians and PhD students as well?

And if not - is there another phrase which captures all those people whose work directly contributes to research outcomes?

I'm basically looking for a phrase to describe all those staff in a research organisation who are not in admin or support roles.


Tamzin Byrne
Science Communicator
Science in Public
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://www.lists.sublimeip.com/pipermail/asc-list/attachments/20140711/041fd9f1/attachment.htm>

More information about the ASC-list mailing list