[ASC-list] The (blurry?) line between communication and knowledge sharing

Michelle Kovacevic kovamic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 06:17:13 UTC 2014

Hi ASC-ers,

Over the past few months I've been introduced to the concepts of knowledge
management and knowledge sharing, but to be honest I still don't know where
the the role of "communicator" ends and "knowledge manager/sharer/broker"
begins.

It seems one of the postulated differences is that communication is a
"one-way" process of information provision and passive reception, whereas
knowledge sharing is more of holistic process, connecting users and
producers of information (knowledge? semantics?) so they can co-create a
"knowledge product" that serves multiple needs.

To date, my job as a "science communicator" has involved aspects of
writing, editing, multimedia, project management, education, data
management, training, PR and research, amongst other things.

To me, effective communication cannot be defined a passive, one way process
if it truly wishes to be effective and I don't think, as a science
communicator, I have ever practiced it as such.

Would be keen for the community's thoughts on whether we should be calling
ourselves communicators vs when we might be knowledge managers/brokers? Or
does it even matter what we call ourselves?

Cheers,

Michelle

*--*

*Michelle Kovacevic*

Communicator. Educator. Project Manager. Scientist. Creative Thinker.

michellekovacevic.com (beta)

Find me on: LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=66994213> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/kovamic> | SlideShare
<https://www.slideshare.net/MichelleKovacevic>