[ASC-list] Boas Medal, women in physics and video comps: physics in August

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Jul 31 03:32:21 UTC 2014

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the AIP President. Here’s a taste of what’s in this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/august-2014>.

Kind regards,
Niall
________

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Congratulations to Chennupati Jagadish, whose work on semiconductor optoelectronics and nanotechnology has earned him the 2013 Walter Boas Medal. Jagadish will receive his award and deliver a lecture at a meeting of our Victorian branch later this year, and I look forward to hearing more about his research.

Gravitational waves will star in this year’s Women in Physics lecturers, to be delivered by Professor Sheila Rowan from the University of Glasgow. She’s known for being an excellent communicator, and we’ll bring you details of her national tour, with talks for schools and the public in October and November.

We’re also sponsoring delegates to the International Women in Physics Conference, with Australia’s team to be led by Cathy Foley (CSIRO), along with Helen Maynard-Casely (ANSTO) and Margaret Wegener (University of Queensland). The conference runs from 5 to 8 August in Waterloo, Canada, and is put on by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics. We’ll get to hear all about it at our own Congress in Canberra in December.

As for me, I’ve just returned from a trip to England and Japan, which wasn’t all business but did give me the chance to visit research institutes in both countries. And I got to meet our counterparts in the UK Institute of Physics, including their President Frances Saunders, who will also attend our Congress.

The Congress itself is shaping up to be a great event. As well as an array of distinguished speakers, the theme ‘The Art of Physics’ will be realised with an exhibition of works on the subject of Velocity. There will also be a tour of the historic Mt Stromlo Observatory, and cosmologist Lawrence Krauss will deliver the closing night’s public lecture.

We had so many Queen’s Birthday Honours to list in our last bulletin that inevitably we left someone out. Hearty and belated congratulations go to medical physicist and AIP member Tomas Kron, from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, who received a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to medicine and to research and education.

Sadly missed will be Professor George Dracoulis of the Australian National University, who died on 19 June 2014. George achieved international acclaim and was elected to the Australian Academy of Science for his significant contributions to the spectroscopy of very neutron-deficient nuclei and to the understanding of unusual nuclear states, particularly through the elucidation of the interplay between single-particle and collective degrees of freedom.

And some of the items:

Boas medal goes to Chennupati Jagadish
Professor Chennupati Jagadish from the Australian National University (ANU) has been awarded the AIP’s 2013 Walter Boas Medal for excellence in physics research.

AIP Congress program evolves
A rich taste of the Art of Physics awaits you at the AIP Congress in Canberra in December, with exciting events already confirmed and submitted abstracts being selected for the program.

Video & photo contests for physics students
School students from around Australia can Frame their Physics and make a video of up to three minutes as part of an AIP competition.

Victorian Young Physicists’ Tournament
Registrations are now open for this team contest, in which students conduct experiments and then present and defend their findings—and challenge other teams.

Keep in mind Physics in Industry Day
The mind underpins all industries imaginable, which is why our NSW branch is making it the theme of this year’s Physics in Industry day.

Medallists return from student Olympiad
Australia’s International Physics Olympiad team has returned from Kazakhstan with two silver medals, won by Alex Ritter and Allen Gu from Scotch College, Victoria, and Brisbane Grammar School, Queensland, respectively.

Why do students leave physics?
Earlier this month, The Guardian published an article by a British high school student, Sarah Chitson, explaining why she was dropping physics for her A-levels.

Public  lecture: Exploring the frontiers of size and energy at the Large Hadron Collider: Sub-atomic particles, the Higgs Boson and beyond
Chris Rogan gives an introduction to the subatomic world, the particles that reside there and the forces that govern them.

Public lectures: Brian Schmidt presents the Accelerating Universe
For National Science Week, the University of Tasmania will host lectures by 2011 Nobel Laureate Brian Schmidt, describing the discovery of Dark Energy.

Public lecture: The hunt for dark matter
Juan Collar from the University of Chicago will describe how teams of researchers worldwide search for dark matter particles.

2014 Einstein Lecture: ‘Pocket Astrophysics’
Orsola De Marco reveals the fascinating world of astrophysicists from her personal experience.

Plasma Fusion Research Facility launched
Operating temperatures of 30,000 °C to be reached in the H1 nuclear fusion experiment at ANU.

Long-distance quantum communication
Magnetic fields used to link superconducting qubits by researchers from Macquarie University and University of Queensland.

Sound approach to nano-manufacturing
RMIT University researchers use high-frequency sound waves to control a thin film of fluid and create patterns on a microchip.

Observing underwater storms with earth vibrations
University of Tasmania researchers find patterns of deep ocean storm activity in seismic records.

Distant galaxy soon to be ‘red and dead’
Carbon monoxide in gas-guzzling galaxy detected by University of Western Australia astronomers.

Southern view of pulsed gamma rays
University of Adelaide astronomer part of team that built the world’s largest gamma ray telescope.

More details at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/august-2014.

________

Niall Byrne
Creative Director, Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>