[ASC-list] New Chief Scientist of WA appointed
E.Donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 05:55:09 UTC 2014
New Chief Scientist of WA appointed
Tuesday, 10 June 2014
· Professor Peter Klinken appointed as Chief Scientist of Western Australia
· Professor Klinken is a leading Western Australian medical research scientist
· Chief Scientist provides independent scientific advice to State Government
Premier and Science Minister Colin Barnett today announced the appointment of Professor Peter Klinken as the new Chief Scientist of Western Australia.
Professor Klinken is a leading Western Australian medical research scientist and visionary leader. He is highly regarded for advancing the understanding of genes involved in leukaemia, cancer and anaemia, and his many research achievements include the discovery of a gene that supresses the growth of tumours.
Mr Barnett welcomed Professor Klinken as the new Chief Scientist and said the role provided contemporary expert advice on science to the State Government.
"The Chief Scientist provides important input to support the Government in building the State's science industries to achieve future prosperity for West Australians," he said.
"Professor Klinken brings a wealth of knowledge, expertise and enthusiasm to the role and I very much look forward to working with him."
Professor Klinken played a key role in establishing the State's premier adult medical research institute, the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research (previously the Western Australian Institute for Medical Research) in 1998.
Under his stewardship, the institute attracted world-class national and international researchers to the State and made many acclaimed medical discoveries.
Professor Klinken also spearheaded the development of two new state-of-the-art medical research facilities, Perkins North in Nedlands (QEII Medical Centre) and Perkins South in Murdoch (Fiona Stanley Hospital). Together the facilities will house more than 800 researchers.
* For more information about Professor Peter Klinken and the role of Chief Scientist, visit http://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/SCIENCE
* Professor Bruce Hobbs AO was the inaugural Chief Scientist (2003-2006), followed by Professor Lyn Beazley AO (2006 to 2013)
* Professor Klinken's appointment officially commences on July 1
Premier's office - 6552 5000
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASC-list