[ASC-list] Sydney fundraiser + pub event

Heather Catchpole catchpoleheather at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 02:13:10 UTC 2014

Hi ASCers and science writers

*Save the date: Sydney event FRIDAY JULY 25*

Join us for a chance to have a drink, talk science and raise funds for
brain cancer:

Location: Pumphouse Bar, Darling Harbour (near ABC)
http://pumphousebar.com.au/
TIME: 6pm

As writers and science communicators many of us will have spoken to someone
who has been affected by brain cancer, or to those involved in the
research. Very little is known about the causes and treatment and a massive
effort is needed in fundamental research.

Darren Osborne, ABC Science editor, communicator extraordinaire and a
mentor for many of us is facing his own battle with glioblastoma
multiforme. We wrote about this disease in issue 51 of Cosmos and it's a
devastating condition.

Attempting to understand these diseases highlights how important it is what
we do as communicators and journalists - in educating the public on the
importance of basic research. I'd like to invite you to join with the
unofficial science and environment writers guild at our next catch up to
fundraise in support of Darren.

Suggested donation is $25 or whatever you can afford to come along on the
night, where will be hosting a roast ($10 donation to speak and donate $5
to the best speaker on the night) and doing a bunch of other fundraising.
More details to come!

Meanwhile please do donate if you'd like to come along or to support the
cause to the* Science writers for cancer cure fundraising page* - tax
deductable, donate now (before end of fin year) or any time up to and after
event (until Sept 15).
*https://www.curebraincancer.org.au/my-fundraising/96/science-writers-for-cancer-cure
<https://www.curebraincancer.org.au/my-fundraising/96/science-writers-for-cancer-cure>*

4 Corner's report on glioblastoma multiforme
Buying Time
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/08/26/3831617.htm
--

*Heather Catchpole *