[ASC-list] WA: Curtin Science - loads of activities and events coming soon!

Emma Donnelly E.Donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Mon Jun 23 05:16:44 UTC 2014

ATSE EMINENT SPEAKER SERIES:
Exploration Geology and Keeping Australia Prosperous

Dr Rob Hough, exploration geologist at CSIRO, will preset on how the geologists also need detective skills.

Just a small proportion of Australia’s rich endowment of ore minerals, petroleum and geothermal resources have been processed, a large amount of mineral and energy wealth remains to be found. Early prospectors combed the surface of this ancient land searching for valuable minerals, the geology that was visible on the surface was then mapped, but in the 21st century we need to see through the surface and map below.

Rob is an investigator, of sorts, looking for clues that will lead to the discovery of mineral wealth. Exploring bacteria, gases, plants and even termites can provide hints as to the geology under the surface. Other clues are derived from the study of geophysics, such as seismic and electromagnetic surveys and magnetic and gravity studies.

Also taking a bird’s eye view, by attaching sensors to aircraft, can help detect buried ancient river systems and to look for deep anomalies that might be a pointer to where future mines might lie. In this way, geology, chemistry, physics and biology are all important in uncovering buried minerals and energy.

Arguably more is known about the surface of Mars than parts of the planet Earth. It is no surprise then, that some technologies employed by the Mars Rovers are also being used to investigate the unknown realms of our own planet.

For: high school students (or anyone interested)