[ASC-list] WA Free Event - Scitech Profs and Pints - Tomorrow Night!!

Jessie Roxby jessie.roxby at scitech.org.au
Mon Jun 30 04:12:40 UTC 2014

Scitech Profs and Pints

Profs and Pints<http://www.scitech.org.au/featured/1598-profs-pints> is on tomorrow night to tackle those current and controversial science topics that will have you buzzing with your beer.

Held at The Flying Scotsman's Velvet Lounge<https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Defectors+Bar/@-31.934739,115.871381,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x2a32bac121fec3e3:0x31a4fa286a0fefd6> (corner of Beaufort Street and Grosvenor Rd, in Mt Lawley) over three more nights in July, leading scientists will take the people of Perth on a journey through contentious topics currently rousing debate in our society.

Doors and bar open at 5.30pm with the banter kicking off from 6-8pm.

'IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT'
What will Perth 2050 look like?
We know a bit about what people think and do, but can th at help us to predict our future? Are our current attitudes to science and technology a precursor to the world that will surround us in 36 years? Could this projection change? Can we mold a different future?
Featuring:

*         Dr John van Bockxmeer - WA Young Australian of the Year and urban enthusiast living in Vanbojistan, a harmonious enclave of bicycles, burgers and bespoke

*         Dr Tom Cresswell - Isotope ecologist in aquatic ecosystems at ANSTO Institute for Environmental Science

*         Prof A. Harvey Millar - Plant protein biochemist at ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology, University of Western Australia

'THE IMPRESSION THAT I GET'
How to make sense on an 'uncertain' world?
In a world where scientist are taught that there is no such things as science fact, just hypotheses that have not been disproved, how can we communicate the important stuff? How can we acknowledge the nature of science and yet convince beyond a reasonable doubt? What does a one in ten chance really mean?
'WAITING FOR THE GREAT LEAP FORWARD'
Is today a blip in time and will tomorrow change the world?
What were the life altering, world changing moments in science? Irrigation, electricity, the microscope, penicillin..? Are we about to embark on the next big thing? What will it be? Where will it lead us? What will it mean for us and our world?

Make sure you follow us on facebook<https://www.facebook.com/events/234658886732202/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular> and twitter @ScitechWA #profsandpints to keep up-to-date with the latest developments.

This event is proudly supported by ANSTO.

Jessie Roxby
Functions and Events Coordinator
Scitech

My email: jessie.roxby at scitech.org.au<mailto:jessie.roxby at scitech.org.au>
My direct line: 9215 0848

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF945C.45361CB0]<http://www.scitech.org.au/>
Connect with us: Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/ScitechWA> | eNews<http://www.scitech.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=508&Itemid=286> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scitech/82423139654> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/ScitechWA> | Instagram<http://instagram.com/ScitechWA>
phone: +61 8 9215 0700  |  fax: +61 8 9321 2869  |  web: <http://instagram.com/ScitechWA> www.scitech.org.au<http://www.scitech.org.au>  |  post: PO Box 1155 West Perth WA 6872
City West, cnr Sutherland Street & Railway Pde West Perth WA
Scitech is a not-for-profit organisation whose mission is to increase awareness, interest, capability and participation by all Western Australians in science, technology, engineering and mathematics