[ASC-list] FW: Forensic Science presentation - Thursday 6 March

Emma Donnelly E.Donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Mon Mar 3 02:24:46 UTC 2014

For those who have an interested in Forensic Science.

From: Simon Lewis <S.Lewis at curtin.edu.au<mailto:S.Lewis at curtin.edu.au>>
Date: Saturday, 1 March 2014 8:55 am
Subject: Forensic Science presentation - Thursday 6 March

Dear colleagues,

There is a presentation Thursday evening next week which may be of interest:

Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society (WA Branch) Special Presentation

"Reinforcing, Challenging and Transforming our Forensic Science Thinking".

Alastair Ross AM, Director of the National Institute of Forensic Science

The First Official ANZFSS WA member meeting for 2014 will be held at Curtin University, Building 500 Exhibition Space on Thursday 6th Of March, from 5.30pm. Alastair will also present the NIFS Best Paper Awards to those ANZFSS WA members (and some non-members) able to attend (including Curtin staff and students).

If you are interested in attending please contact secretary at forensicwa.org.au<mailto:secretary at forensicwa.org.au> as soon as possible.

>From the ANZPAA Website:
>From 1976 to 1990 Alastair worked as a forensic scientist in South Australia. From 1990-1992 he was the executive assistant to the CEO of a South Australian government department, and from 1992-2003 he was the inaugural Director of the National Institute of Forensic Science (NIFS). Alastair left NIFS in 2003 and was appointed Director of the Victoria Police Forensic Science Centre (2003-2008 ). In 2004 he was awarded the Adelaide Medal by the International Association of Forensic Sciences and in 2005 he was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia (AM), both for services to forensic science. Alastair rejoined ANZPAA NIFS as a director in 2008 when it became a directorate of the Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency (ANZPAA). Alastair has written many publications and has given presentations on many aspects of forensic science, nationally and internationally. In his current role, Alastair has been involved in the establishment of first generation at-scene DNA profiling, creation of an online interactive virtual reality crime scene training and competency program, and a number of efficiency initiatives including a study of the end-to-end forensic investigation process. Alastair is the current Chair of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA). Alastair holds a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration and a Master of Applied Science (Research) from the University of South Australia.

Professor Simon Lewis
BSc (Hons), PhD, CChem FRSC FRACI
Professor of Forensic and Analytical Chemistry
Director of Teaching and Learning | Department of Chemistry
Faculty of Science and Engineering

Curtin University
Tel | +61 8 9266 2484
Fax | +61 8 9266 2300

Email | s.lewis at curtin.edu.au<x-msg://47/yournamehere@curtin.edu.au>
Web | http://oasisapps.curtin.edu.au/staff/profile/view/S.Lewis

[cid:D2496CAC-2B37-4968-AA48-E8D0D8B52244 at curtin.edu.au]

Curtin University is a trademark of Curtin University of Technology.
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J (WA), 02637B (NSW)