[ASC-list] Opinions on stock photo subscriptions? are they necessary?

Ian M. ianmcd85 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 05:12:55 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I had a subscription to shutterstock which just ran out and am contemplating to renew or not but before I do was going to put it out as a discussion topic.

What stock photo sites do other people use?What are the associated costs? Cheaper the better for me as I work for a not for profit.
Are subscriptions even necessary or can you get away with not needing to purchase images by using creative commons, wiki commons etc.

Interested to hear thoughts.

I am possibly not the only one who is interested in this so try and reply to the list if you can.
Regards
Ian