[ASC-list] Opinions on stock photo subscriptions? are they necessary?

Ian M. ianmcd85 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 05:18:50 UTC 2014

Thanks Kirsten

Posted to the list for everyone's information.
Ian

From: kirsten.gottschalk at uwa.edu.au
To: ianmcd85 at hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:16:07 +0800

Hi Ian,
I use Flickr and do an image search for images the thane been released under a creative commons license.  Usually can get any photo that I'd need that way.
I also then leave a courtesy comment letting the photographer know that I used their image under their license and thanking them (with a link to where I used it if available).
Hope that helps,Kirsten
On 03/03/2014, at 1:12 PM, Ian M. wrote:Hi all,

I had a subscription to shutterstock which just ran out and am contemplating to renew or not but before I do was going to put it out as a discussion topic.

What stock photo sites do other people use?What are the associated costs? Cheaper the better for me as I work for a not for profit.
Are subscriptions even necessary or can you get away with not needing to purchase images by using creative commons, wiki commons etc.

Interested to hear thoughts.

I am possibly not the only one who is interested in this so try and reply to the list if you can.
Regards
Ian

Kirsten Gottschalk
Outreach and Education Officer

Ph: +61 8 6488 7771
Mobile: +61 438 361 876
ICRAR: Discovering the hidden Universe through radio astronomy

www.icrar.org | Subscribe to ICRAR's eNewsletter | ICRAR on Twitter | ICRAR on Facebook