[ASC-list] WA Event: Astronomy Series - Goodness GAMA Me

Jessie Roxby jessie.roxby at scitech.org.au
Tue Mar 18 02:10:12 UTC 2014

Goodness GAMA me, see how we map the Universe!

This is the first of four astronomy talks to be presented in Horizon - the Planetarium.

Astronomers have been mapping the heavens for hundreds of years and continue to build ever larger and more detailed maps of the cosmos, showing everything from the objects in our Solar System, the stars in our Galaxy, the web-like distribution of galaxies, and ultimately the surface of the Big Bang itself...

Join Professor Simon Driver from the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research at the University of Western Australia as he leads you through astronomy's major mapping campaigns and what they are revealing about our place in the Universe.

Simon will dazzle you with awe-inspiring images of the Universe, from powerful telescopes such as the Hubble Space Telescope and the GAMA survey, to how these giant maps are made, how astronomers visualize them, and how they are being used to gradually unveil the Universe in which we live.

Prepare to be swept off into space and witness the Universe as you've never seen it before!

Event: Goodness GAMA me, see how we map the Universe! talk