[ASC-list] No jargon, no lab coats at FameLab Australia. Plus prizes for scientists.

Tamzin Byrne tamzin at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Mar 20 03:00:19 UTC 2014

Dear ASCers,

Young scientists are performing around the country. No jargon, no lab coats... and they've only got 3 minutes.

Come and support your researchers over a beer at:

·         University of Queensland this Tuesday 25 March (with finalists from UQ, JCU, CQU and QAAFI)

·         Sydney's Powerhouse Museum on Thursday 27 March (finalists from Macquarie, Sydney, UNSW, UWS, UOW, Victor Chang)

·         Melbourne's Scienceworks on Wednesday 2 April (finalists from UniMelb, Monash, Deakin, BakerIDI, CSIRO and more)

·         Fremantle's Maritime Museum on Tuesday 8 April (finalists from Curtin, Edith Cowan, Telethon, Notre Dame and UWA)

·         Adelaide on Thursday 10 April (finalists from Adelaide, BoM, CSIRO, ANU, UTAS and Delft).

These are free evening events open to all so please spread the word and enjoy the work of these great young scientists. The winners go on to the national final, which will be held in WA, and the overall winner goes on to the global final in the UK.

We need new ways to advocate for science and for science in policy - FameLab is one small step in that direction.

While our science leaders talk big picture, I think we need to see more young scientists engaging locally: talking to journalists, politicians and the wider community about their discoveries.

Prime Minister's Prizes: nominations opened yesterday for the Prime Minister's Prizes for Science. You've got until 29 May to identify the national leaders, the fast risers, and the best teachers for national recognition, a big cheque and dinner with the PM.

Stem cell prizes: it's the last chance for the new Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research. Two prizes are on offer, $50,000 each, to boost the careers of stem cell scientists who are five to ten years past their PhD or MD.

L'Oréal Laureates are awarded in Paris today and a South African scientist received an international fellowship to study at Macquarie Uni. Meanwhile nominations for the Australian Fellowships are open until 16 April.

BioMedVic opened for business this week - representing the heart of Australia's biomedical research community in Victoria. It's an evolution of the Bio21 Cluster.

Nature Publishing Index: who are the research leaders in the Asia-Pacific? Will China pass Japan? Who is top dog in Australia? Next Thursday we'll help release the Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific for 2013. We'll be in touch with VCs and DVCs to give you a heads up early next week.

More on all of this in my latest bulletin: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/asc/prizes-famelab-biomedvic

Kind regards,

Niall
________