[ASC-list] Fwd: MELBOURNE Event: Science Communication, Ideas & Society Forum

Cathal O'Connell cathal.d.oconnell at gmail.com
Fri May 9 06:56:24 UTC 2014

FYI, Melbourne based event.

FW:
How can science be communicated?
Australia's best science communicators will come together to explore the
challenges of relaying complex and important scientific information to the
wider community.

Robyn Williams, presenter of ABC's The Science Show, will join science
editor Elizabeth Finkel and former CSIRO Chair, La Trobe Chancellor
Adrienne E Clarke at La Trobe University's Ideas and Society program to
discuss the challenges of communicating science.

The forum, held one week after the Federal Budget is delivered, will also
present an opportunity to assess how any funding changes to the CSIRO and
the ABC might influence the strength and clarity of science communication
in Australia. This year is the fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of
ABC's Science Unit.

Convenor of the Ideas and Society program, Professor Robert Manne, said
that communicating the conclusions of scientists to the general public is
one of the most vital issues of our era.

'No question looms larger for the future wellbeing of our civilisation than
the success of scientists in bringing the conclusions of their work to the
attention of society in a way that creates political momentum for change,'
Professor Manne said.

'This is particularly true given growing public scepticism about the
reality and gravity of the looming climate crisis, which is underpinned by
widespread distrust of climate science.

'For this reason, the question of how to communicate science is of great
importance,' he said.

Event details

What: Ideas and Society event: Communicating Science

When: Tuesday 20 May 2014, 12.30pm – 2.00pm

Where: John Scott Meeting House, La Trobe University, Bundoora

Attendance: All welcome, no RSVP required

Webcast: Watch live or after the event

Social media: Follow @latrobenews on Twitter and use the hashtag
#ideasandsociety to join the conversation