[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne, Wed 21st May 6:30pm -"The Plastic Brain"

David Vaux D.Vaux at latrobe.edu.au
Tue May 13 08:20:25 UTC 2014

Free, all welcome (booking not needed). Bring your friends!

Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, located in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Associate Professor  Chris Reid

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health

The Plastic Brain

Wednesday 21st May 2014, 6:30 pm
The brain is remarkable. Just how do we remember the colour of our first car, what we had for lunch yesterday or who our Prime Minister is? We don’t have all the answers but we have come a long way. In this lecture I will take you on a journey about how we think brain cells work. We will discuss how brain cells change when we learn, what we can do to learn better and what might be going wrong in disease. I’ll finish with exciting new ways we are looking into brain function that will tell us more about how this fascinating organ works.

This talk is a special event during education week, and teachers and students (as well as the community) are especially encouraged to come along.  Chris Read is head of the synaptic plasticity lab at the Florey. Plasticity is the capacity of the brain to change with learning. Can an adult retrain their brain after injury? Can we train our brains to improve our performance? What are the implications for medical research.

Forthcoming talks:
Wed  18th June        Assoc Prof  Andrew Prentice,  School of Mathematical Sciences Monash University
“The formation of our Solar System:  new light shed by recent interplanetary spacecraft data and the findings of a novel mathematical theory”
Wed 16th July         Prof Tim Murray, Chair of Archaeology, La Trobe University
Wed 20th August     Assoc Prof  Melanie Bahlo, Bioinformatics, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
Wed 17th Sept        Professor Roger Daly, Chair, Dept. Biochemistry, Monash University

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

 Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>

http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/