[ASC-list] Senior Science Writer wanted! Apply by Wed 17 Sept

Jennifer Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Wed Sep 10 08:38:26 UTC 2014

Econnect Communication is seeking a Senior Science Writer for our Brisbane office. This is a casual position with an immediate start.

The job

We are seeking a senior science writer to join our team immediately for a minimum of three months. You will research, interview and write stories for our clients in the science, development, agricultural and environmental arenas. You will work from our office in West End, Brisbane, with our small team of committed science writers and communicators.
We work on regional, national and international projects. Our diverse projects seek to communicate science that is important to people's lives and the environment.
Selection criteria - essential

At least five years' experience writing about science, agriculture or the environment, nationally (and/or internationally)

High level of demonstrated skill and ability in writing for mass media and targeted audiences

Ability to organise and conduct successful interviews

Skill in taking complex ideas from multiple sources to shape an engaging story in a short time frame

Demonstrated ability to work to tight deadlines

Experience and ability in working as part of a small team and independently

High level of interpersonal communication skills for interacting with colleagues and clients

Demonstrated attention to detail

Availability to start immediately
Selection criteria - desirable

Experience working as a consultant

Skills in substantive editing
Conditions of contract

Maximum of 38 hours per week working from our Brisbane office (applications from those wishing to work off-site will not be considered)

Hourly rate of $34-$38 per hour plus casual loading (25%), plus super

Apply
Please email a two-page (maximum) application addressing the selection criteria to Alison Binney, alison at econnect.com.au<mailto:alison at econnect.com.au>, by 6pm Wednesday 17 September. Please also provide up to three examples of your published pieces of science writing (PDF format), preferably with bylines, and the names and contact details of two recent work referees.  You can also attach a CV.

Only emailed applications will be accepted. If you have any queries please send these via email to alison at econnect.com.au<mailto:alison at econnect.com.au>. No phone calls will be accepted.
If you are short-listed we will let you know by Monday 22 September. If you have not heard by then, please accept that you have not been short-listed and we are unable to correspond further.
Interviews will be conducted in person or via Skype on Thursday 25 September. We would like the successful candidate to be available to start work the week commencing 29 September.

Jenni Metcalfe
jenni at econnect.com.au<mailto:jenni at econnect.com.au>
skype: jenni.metcalfe
twitter: @JenniMet