[ASC-list] 2015 Writing Clear Science workshops

Marina Hurley info at writingclearscience.com.au
Thu Apr 9 23:19:27 UTC 2015

2015 Writing Clear Science Workshops

www.writingclearscience.com.au
<file:///C:/A%20Science%20Skills/Admin/Advertising%20&%20Promotion%20X/ADVERTISING%20CURRENT/2015/www.writingclearscience.com.au>

*What we teach:*

We teach how to write clearly and succinctly, without sacrificing
scientific accuracy.

We teach you how to get your thoughts down clearly and how to increase your
efficiency as a writer. We teach how to write and design documents
according to audience (e.g. industry, peer review), purpose (e.g.
monitoring report, journal article) and the type of research or project
problem that needs to be solved.

We review the standard scientific reporting framework, how to prepare
reports and papers, and discuss how to clearly and concisely communicate a
research project to a chosen audience. In addition, across the two days, we
conduct editing, writing and re-writing exercises, where we teach how to
improve writing through effective editing skills and critical review
techniques.

*How we teach:*

- Through small workshops that are instructive, interactive and enjoyable.

- We create a comfortable environment where you can participate at your own
pace.

*Who we teach:*

- Any person who writes about science: scientists, science students and
science professionals.

*What we understand:*

- Why writing is a struggle for many people.

- How to simplify the writing process and improve efficiency.

*What we provide:*

- Exercises that allow you to write about your own projects and topics.

- Improved writing skills and a writing toolkit for future reference.

- Editing & feedback on your writing.

*Workshop content:*

*Day 1: Writing clearly & succinctly*

- Tackling common and unique writing problems

- Writing to improve your thinking

- Improving writing productivity

- Effective sentence structure

- Writing clearly, accurately & efficiently

*Day 2: Writing reports & papers**

- Effective paragraph and document structure

- Linking ideas and topics through your document

- Clarifying your topic and project problem.

- Document design according to audience & purpose

  (* Day 1 enrolment required)

*2015 Open Workshop Calendar:*

- Melbourne:  (Thurs. 14th - Fri. 15th May)     Download Brochure
<http://www.writingclearscience.com.au/images/Brochures/150514%20mel.pdf>
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/DOQN>

- Sydney:      (Wed. 27th - Thurs. 28th May)   Download Brochure
<http://www.writingclearscience.com.au/images/Brochures/150527%20syd.pdf>
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/EBJW>

- Brisbane:    (Wed. 24th - Thurs. 25th June)  Download Brochure
<http://www.writingclearscience.com.au/images/Brochures/150624%20bri.pdf>
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/EBKX>

- Adelaide:    (Thurs. 9th - Fri. 10th July)        Download Brochure
<http://www.writingclearscience.com.au/images/Brochures/150709%20ade.pdf>
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/EBHT>

- Perth:         (Thurs. 30th - Fri. 31st July)      Download Brochure
<http://www.writingclearscience.com.au/images/Brochures/150730%20per.pdf>
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/EBKY>

*What it costs:*

- $370 per day (GST incl.) minus 10% for early bird bookings or group
registrations (>2).

- Fees include workshop registration, editing of a sample of your writing,
course certificate, detailed handouts, the Writing Clear Science exercise
handbook and resources; morning & afternoon tea.

*In-House Writing Workshops*

- Writing Clear Science also offers *In-House Writing Workshops*. We can
offer a 1-3 day workshop that is tailored to your needs. Rates are charged
per enrolment.

*About the facilitator:*

Dr Marina Hurley worked for 20 years as a research scientist. In 2005 she
designed the Writing Clear Science writing course, and since then has
personally facilitated more than 140 writing workshops.

*Recent feedback:*

- ‘I was very impressed with the approach, the activities and the tools
presented to aid the writing process.’

- ‘The course was well presented by an enthusiastic trainer with an
outstanding knowledge of the topic.’

- ‘This workshop made all the difference, as it allows time to really think
about the writing process, and then practice and solidify those
realisations.’

For further information, including course details:

- go to www.writingclearscience.com.au,

- or contact Dr Marina Hurley: 0416-097-979; info at writingclearscience.com.au

--
Dr Marina Hurley