[ASC-list] International Year of Light briefing – Monday 13 April 2015

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Apr 10 05:07:08 UTC 2015

Dear ASC-ers

Please join me for a briefing on progress with the International Year of Light in Victoria this coming Monday, 13 April at 5.30pm at Royal Society of Victoria, Melbourne.

We want to hear all about your plans and to share with you information on all the events we’re aware of.

Our first briefing was hosted by Fed Square. This time our generous hosts are the Royal Society of Victoria at 8 La Trobe Street. They supported the Burke and Wills Expedition and they’re still in the business of promoting science.

The UN-declared International Year of Light kicked off at the Sydney New Year’s Eve Fireworks.

To celebrate, Australians are sharing stories about the light in their lives throughout 2015:

·         Scientists are revealing the secrets of nature – using light to discover distant pulsars and illuminate the inner workings of life.

·         Museums, festivals and artists are creating vivid laser shows, colourful exhibitions and illuminating events.

·         The nation’s science teachers will be ‘Making waves–the science of light’ during National Science Week.

·         Companies who work with light-based technologies are talking about how they bring their solutions into our hospitals, homes, public spaces and workplaces.

·         Government organisations and not-for-profits with an interest in light are discussing the evolution of sustainable lighting and the empowerment and security that light brings to developing communities.

These and many other themes will be explored in mass media and social media throughout the Year, with programming peaking in June and again in August with National Science Week.

All welcome – please free to pass this invitation on.

Event details