[ASC-list] Sydney event TONIGHT!: Meet the scientists communicating science

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Wed Dec 9 00:19:56 UTC 2015

They explore the stars, seek the roots of evolution,  and spend their days
playing with eight-legged beasties. Scientists are also increasingly at the
forefront of communication channels across multiple platforms.

Join us tonight at 6.30pm as we chat to Australian scientists making their
mark in both research and communication; on TV, radio and social platforms.
We'll ask them why they f*king love communicating science, how they do it,
and we'll challenge them to describe their decades of science research in
the space of a single tweet!

Don't miss this fun Christmas event, brought to you by ASC NSW. Have a
drink and some finger food, some simulating discussion with your local ASC
branch, and chat to our science communication all-stars:

- Evolutionary biologist Professor Rob Brooks studies sexual reproduction
and how it shapes the lives of humans and other animals. He heads the “Sex
Lab” at UNSW where he is Scientia Professor and Director of the Evolution &
Ecology Research Centre. His work has shaped how we understand the
evolution of mate choice, how sex alters the aging process, and the links
between sex, diet, obesity and death. He has won major prizes for both
research and popular science communication. His popular writing, including
his first book Sex, Genes & Rock ’n’ Roll: How Evolution has Shaped the
Modern World, explores the power of evolutionary thinking to illuminate the
human condition.

- Dr Lisa Harvey-Smith is an astronomer at the CSIRO and studies the birth
and death of stars in our Galaxy. She is the Project Scientist for the
Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP), a telescope
comprising 36 large radio ‘dishes' under construction in the Western
Australian outback. Lisa is leading the ASKAP early science project, which
will study the evolution of galaxies through approximately 7 billion years
of cosmic history and is due to start in 2016. Harvey-Smith is an
accomplished science writer and speaker and was a finalist in the 2015
Eureka Prize for Promoting the Understanding of Australian Science
Research. In 2012 she was listed in the Sydney Morning Herald’s “Top 100:
Most Influential People”. Harvey-Smith regularly speaks in schools and is
involved in a mentoring program for young indigenous people in WA.

- Lizzy is a PhD student at the University of Sydney studying the effects
of urbanisation on spiders. She uses outreach to introduce people to the
amazing world of arachnids and start conversations about the importance of
biodiversity in cities. She particularly enjoys visiting primary schools
because kids are much more appreciative of creepy crawlies!

- Dr. Ángel R. López-Sánchez is an astrophysicist working at the Australian
Astronomical Observatory, studying star formation. Ángel is the first
Spanish astronomer hosting a blog only dedicated to Astronomy, El Lobo
Rayado, which was created in early 2004. Since 2011 he's also maintain a
blog in English, The Lined Wolf, which is focused on publicising his
scientific work and outreach activities in Australia.

WHEN: Wednesday, 9 December 2015 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM

WHERE: Pyrmont Point Hotel, Margot's Room - 59 Harris Street, Pyrmont

TICKETS:$15 for ASC members, $25 for non-members (incl a free drink and
finger food) -
http://meetthescientists.eventbrite.com.au/

QUESTIONS: catchpoleheather at gmail.com or bianca at biancanogrady.com

*Freelance science journalist and author*
www.biancanogrady.com, 0411 420 913, Blackheath, NSW, Australia

*The Best Australian Science Writing 2015
<http://www.newsouthbooks.com.au/books/best-australian-science-writing-2015>*
- Editor (New South, 2015)

*The End: The Human Experience of Death <http://www.theendbook.net>*
(Penguin Random House, 2013)

*The Sixth Wave**: How to Succeed in a Resource-Limited World *
<http://www.sixthwave.org>(Penguin Random House, 2010)