[ASC-list] full-time, two-year science communication research assistant position advertised at University of Otago

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at otago.ac.nz
Sun Feb 15 20:21:41 UTC 2015

Hello Science Communicators,

Applications are invited for a full-time, 2 year position as research assistant to work with me at the Centre for Science Communication at the University of Otago.

This position is ideal for a recent graduate with knowledge of the science communication field who would like to further develop their research experience.

Closing date for online applications is 26 February.

Information for the position can be found at:
https://otago.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=1500252
or by contacting me at nancy.longnecker at otago.ac.nz

The Centre for Science Communication is a vibrant and collegial work environment: www.sciencecommunication.info/<http://www.sciencecommunication.info/>

Dunedin is a dynamic and beautiful place to live and work:
www.dunedinnz.com/visit/home<http://www.dunedinnz.com/visit/home>
www.facebook.com/DunedinNZ?nr

Australian citizens are able to work in New Zealand.

Research Assistant - Science Engagement-1500252
Centre for Science Communication

This full-time appointment is fixed-term for a period of 24 months. Part-time employment may be considered for the appropriate candidate.

The Centre for Science Communication in the Department of Zoology at the University of Otago is looking for a Research Assistant to assist with a research team focusing on science engagement. Our research aim is to examine impacts of science engagement with the goal of improving effectiveness. We work closely with professional science communicators in a range of sectors, including university, schools, museums and government.

Applicants should have a relevant undergraduate degree and research experience. A relevant research degree would be an advantage.

We are looking for a person with experience in:
•   Design, implementation and analysis of surveys
•   Design, conduct and analysis of research interviews
•   Data analysis using a statistical package such as SPSS or R
•   Design and creation of science communication resources

The appointee will have excellent organisation and interpersonal skills, an ability to work independently and creative flair. Ideally, the successful applicant will create science communication resources that may be used as interventions in research projects (e.g. display materials, podcasts, etc.).

Specific enquiries may be directed to Prof Nancy Longnecker, Centre for Science Communication, Department of Zoology, contact details are below.

Application quoting reference number 1500252 will close on Thursday, 26 February 2015.

Contact: Prof. Nancy Longnecker<mailto:nancy.longnecker at otago.ac.nz>

Nancy Longnecker
Professor, Science Communication
PhD Coordinator