[ASC-list] Crawford Fund 2015 Food Security Journalism Award

Cathy Reade creade at squirrel.com.au
Wed Feb 18 07:54:24 UTC 2015

PRESS RELEASE

CRAWFORD FUND

CRAWFORD FUND 2015 FOOD SECURITY JOURNALISM AWARD

The Crawford Fund's 2015 Food Security Journalism award was launched today
at a food security focussed event hosted by the Rural Press Club (RPC) of
Queensland.

The Fund is joining with the Australian Council of Agricultural Journalists
for the third year of the award which has seen a sustained interest from
Australian journalists.

"Our competition aims to encourage working Australian journalists to
investigate the important roles that agricultural research, training and
rural development play in global food security," said Professor Kaye
Basford, Board member of the Crawford Fund and Chair of the Queensland
Committee.

"The journalism award provides an opportunity to acknowledge reporting that
highlights the myriad of issues related to food security and agriculture for
development, as well as the mutual benefit of related R&D," she said.

"We are delighted to team up again with the Australian Council of
Agricultural Journalists to deliver this award and recognise excellence in
reporting on food security," she said.

The winning journalist will be provided with a Crawford Fund 'seeing is
believing' visit to a developing country to view and report on Australian
and international research and training underway with a focus on food
security.

Entries are open for print, broadcast and internet-based reports by working
Australian journalists around food security within the 12 months prior to
the closing date of Monday, 1 June 2015. The winner will be announced at the
Fund's Annual Conference from 10-12 August in Canberra.

"This year's annual conference 'The Business of Food Security: balancing
profitability, sustainability and risk' will address the importance of
collaboration and partnership between the public and private sectors to
achieve sustainable intensification and improved food security," said Kaye.

"I commend today's RPC speaker, Jeff Simmons, the President of Elanco, who
is leading an international campaign to encourage greater dialogue, science
based policies and innovation for food security. We believe the private
sector has a key role to play in wealthy and developing countries, and that
will be the focus of our 2015 conference," she said.

Further details, including the application and judging process, are
available at
http://www.crawfordfund.org/news/news-2015-journalism-award-launched-februar
y-2015/

More information:      Cathy Reade, Director, Public Affairs and
Communication,  cathy.reade at crawfordfund.org  0413 575 934

The Crawford Fund's mission is to increase Australia's engagement in
international agricultural research, development and education for the
benefit of developing countries and Australia.