[ASC-list] FameLab entries due March 2nd - alert researchers

Frankie Lee frankielee333 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 06:05:11 UTC 2015

*FAMELAB: TALKING SCIENCE!*

*EXTENDED DEADLINE*

for researchers in science, engineering and maths

Entries close *Monday 2 March*, 2015 www.famelab.org.au
<file:///C:/Users/Frank/Desktop/FameLab/Media%20releases/www.famelab.org.au>

*​ *

** The call for applications closes on March  for FameLab 2015 – the
celebrated international science communications competition. *

We’re looking for passionate early career researchers with a peer-reviewed
discovery to present their science at FameLab Australia, presented by the
British Council.

** FameLab is for science, maths and engineering researchers with a
determination to build their communication skills, who want to make strong
connections with other researchers here and overseas and who are keen to
compete for Australia at The Times Cheltenham Science Festival, UK in June,
2015*.

* The Australian Grand Final of FameLab is at the Western Australian Museum
on May 13, 2015

*FameLab International, the world’s leading science communication
competition, finds and mentors young science, mathematics and engineering
researchers who have a flair for communicating with public audiences. The
participants learn to communicate their work to society as a whole, not
just colleagues and peers. *

Co-presented by the British Council and The Times Cheltenham Science
Festival, the competition has been running annually since 2007, over which
time more than 5000 participants from 25 countries have taken the stage to
‘perform’ their science for live audiences.

*FameLab came to Australia in 2014, where it was met with enthusiastic
response from the science community, attracting applications from across
the country. The heat-winners, 12 dynamic researchers, took the stage at
the gala national final at The Western Australian Museum, competing for the
FameLab Australia crown.*

Armed with a giant teddy bear and its velvet ‘liver’, Dr Michael Smout, a
medical researcher from James Cook University in Townsville, took out the
prize with a riveting elucidation of his work with the parasitic Thai liver
worm and its therapeutic saliva.

*FameLab advocate and former Chief Scientist of Western Australia,
Professor Lynn Beazley AO believes that FameLab can help connect scientists
and scientific research to the community. She says, “[FameLab] is the sort
of programme that in the long term we should be supporting for the next
generation because for me, science communication is very important. Not
just doing science, but learning how to communicate it and translating it
to improve life on our planet.”*

British Council Australia Director Helen O’Neil also notes that the
competition is valuable in promoting the uptake of STEM [Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics] studies in future generations,
noting that, “We help researchers and teachers explain their work in a
creative way which recognises we need great advocates for new knowledge and
experimentation. Science deserves a place on centre stage.”

*2014 FameLab winner Dr Michael Smout says, “I entered FameLab because I
really enjoy spreading my love of science. Presenting terrifies me, but
[it’s necessary in] spreading the word and trying to get more people
enthused about science in general.” *

Going to Cheltenham with FameLab was just an amazing experience.
Twenty-five countries [were represented],and most of them without English
as their first language, some of them with even English as their third
language, so it was just incredible to see the different range of
presentation styles, how different people get their ideas across.”

*Applications for FameLab Australia open Tuesday 27 January 2015 and close
Friday 27 February 2015.  Applicants can be Honours students, graduate
students or up to 5 years post-PhD, researching in any field of science,
maths or engineering.*

Presented by British Council and Cheltenham Festivals | Founding partners:
The Western Australian Museum and The McCusker Foundation | University
partners: The University of Western Australia, Curtin University and
Murdoch University | Airline partner: British Airways | Domestic travel
partner: Show Group | Venue partners: Queensland Museum, Museum of Applied
Arts and Sciences, Museum Victoria. Supporting Inspiring Australia.

*For more information and to enter, visit: www.famelab.org.au
<http://www.famelab.org.au>*

*Media enquiries: Frankie Lee, +61 419 448847 | frankielee333 at gmail.com
<frankielee333 at gmail.com>*