[ASC-list] First national survey of people’s willingness to assist marine science

Vicki Martin Vicki.Martin at scu.edu.au
Thu Feb 26 01:00:28 UTC 2015

Hi ASCers,

The Marine ExChanges project has just launched Australia’s first national survey of people’s willingness to assist marine science. See http://bit.ly/marineexchanges for more details.

In Sci Comm speak, I’m looking at whether public participation in marine science has the potential to increase Australian’s engagement in science. Inspiring Australia identified marine science as presenting opportunities for greater science engagement, so my survey is asking marine users across the country if, why and how they want to get involved in marine research (or not!).

Who is it for?
I want to hear from both sides – that is, people who are, and people who are not interested in helping marine research (or science for that matter!). I want to hear from people who are:
*  Australian citizens or residents
*  aged 15 years or older
*  visit the beach or ocean at least once a year (yes, it’s broad!)
*  ‘marine users’ can include fishers, divers, surfers, beachwalkers, boaties and more; anyone that loves getting into or on the water.

PRIZES anyone?!
*  Yes, there are over $2,000 worth of fantastic marine prizes in our prize draw, donated by a bunch of supportive sponsors. More details on the prizes can be found at http://bit.ly/marinestudyprizes. And yes, ASCers, you can do the survey, too!

Can you help me spread the word about the online survey, please?
How to help:
* ‘Like’ the research page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MarineExChanges<http://www.facebook.com/MarineExChanges>.
*  Share a post with your friends and family in Australia (more posts and videos will be rolled out over the coming weeks)
*  Email these links (below) to your friends, family and colleagues:

Marine ExChanges National Survey of Marine Users (20th Feb – 20th April 2015)
Web: http://bit.ly/marineexchanges
Facebook: www.facebook.com/MarineExChanges

Survey closes on 20th April 2015, and the prize winners will be announced via video on 30th April.

Interview work I conducted last year indicated that a wide range of marine users are interested in helping marine research in some way. The Marine ExChanges survey will help us work out what sort of projects Australians are interested in, what influences people to get involved in marine research (or not), how to communicate marine science more effectively, and what greater involvement in marine research will mean for science engagement in Australia. For a quick video explanation, see http://youtu.be/C2ihJMfI9Ow.

Thanks for your help. Any questions, please get in touch … contact details below.

Cheers,
Vicki

Vicki Martin
School of Environment, Science and Engineering
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157
Lismore NSW 2480
Australia