[ASC-list] Australia Day honours for science outreach and a change of president: physics in February

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Jan 30 04:42:45 UTC 2015

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the AIP President. Here’s a taste of this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/february-2015>.

Kind regards,
Niall
________

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

The Australia Day Honours list again includes one of our own, with science communicator and AIP member Mike Gore being made Officer of the Order of Australia for his decades of work in public outreach and education. This recognises his roles in setting up the Questacon National Science Centre, the travelling Shell Questacon Science Circus and the Centre for Public Awareness of Science at ANU.

Last week saw the official launch of the International Year of Light in Paris. The AIP is proud to support the year’s Australian activities, which celebrate optics, astronomy and anything else involving light. You can read more below.

This will be my last bulletin as AIP President. It’s been a privilege for me to serve and contribute to the Institute’s evolution over the past two years.

Reflecting on this time, there are encouraging signs that we’ve turned around our fall in membership numbers—a problem plaguing many professional societies. We’ve also embraced the trend of regional collaboration, forging tighter links in the Asia-Pacific and opening unique opportunities beyond from Europe and America.

These links further strengthen at the Asia-Pacific Physics Conference and AIP Congress to be held in Brisbane, 4–8 December 2016. This joint meeting will be chaired by Halina Rubinsztein-Dunlop and Warrick Crouch, who is also the AIP’s new incoming president.

With such a promising future there’s no better time for AIP members to get involved and encourage their colleagues, students and friends of physics to be part of the Institute and its activities.

And some of the items:

Honours for science educator
Champion of science outreach and communication, AIP member Mike Gore, has been made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in the Australia Day Honours.

Keep up-to-date online
Our monthly emails list physics events around the country (see below), but did you know you can follow our calendar between bulletins? The AIP Events Calendar includes functions organised by the AIP, public lectures, events for teachers and students and conferences.

Presentations from the AIP Congress
Copies of most of the presentations given at our Congress in Canberra in December 2014 are now available at the AIP Congress website. You can also view a gallery of photos from the Congress.

Paris lights up for the Year of Light
The world’s best and brightest minds in the fields of light and light-based technologies gathered last week in Paris to celebrate the official Opening Ceremony of the International Year of Light.

The Known Unknowns of the Universe
Public lecture, Tue 17 Feb, Physics Lecture Theatre 1, University of Tasmania, Hobart
Ray Volkas will survey the challenges to fundamental physics posed by the discovery of dark matter and neutrino masses, and the enduring question of why the universe is bereft of antimatter.

VCE Physics Days at Luna Park
Tue 3 – Fri 6 Mar, St Kilda VIC
Put your physics to the test on Luna Park rides.

Rapid radio burst seen in real time
For the first time ever, a Swinburne University PhD student has used CSIRO’s Parkes radio telescope to observe live a mysterious flash of radio waves from an unknown source.

Dust from ocean floor exposes supernovae
Researchers from ANU find undersea galactic dust has lower levels of heavy elements than expected, implying they’re not formed in supernovae.

Spooky action in quantum networks
Swinburne University researchers show that Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) paradoxes can be extended to more than two optical systems.

Gamma-ray sources found in Large Magellanic Cloud
Astronomers at the University of Adelaide have discovered three new sources, including a ‘super-bubble’ 270 light years across.

Women under-represented in fields associated with ‘innate ability’
Study suggests that stereotypes in fields like physics discourage women, who prefer fields where hard work is perceived to matter more.

Smartphone apps capture cosmic rays
New apps in development let citizen scientists use the camera chips in their smartphones to detect particles produced by cosmic rays.

More details at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/february-2015.

________

Niall Byrne
Creative Director, Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>