[ASC-list] Free event on 'Emergency Communication' BRISBANE

Melissa Lyne melissa at amos.org.au
Fri Jul 3 01:43:23 UTC 2015

In the lead-up to its annual conference, the Australian Meteorological and
Oceanographic Society (AMOS) presents:

Emergency Communication for Severe Weather Events

Where does communicating an imminent disaster start, and how does the
information end up getting to you?

If you’ve ever wondered this yourself, ‘Emergency Communication for Severe
Weather’ has the answers for you.

The public forum, presented by the Australian Meteorological and
Oceanographic Society, will explore the communication processes before,
during and after a natural disaster. Take a closer look at current
research, what resources are available, how the community is prepared, and
what the procedures are around severe weather events.

Led by the ABC’s Robyn Williams, our esteemed panellists (listed below)
have dedicated a great number of years to the emergency services.
Throughout the forum they will take you through their accounts of the
communication processes, including new forms of communication. They will
touch on some of the lessons we've learned from the past and how they’ve
helped prepare us for our future. At the conclusion of the event, the
audience will be given ample time to ask questions.

Moderator

Robyn Williams AM
*Science journalist and ABC broadcaster*

Guest panelists

Ms Joanne Beadle
*Director, Resilience and Recovery at the Department of Infrastructure,
Local Government and Planning*

Prof. Jim McGowan AM
*Previous Director-General of the Queensland Department of Community Safety*

Prof. Vivienne Tippett
*Leader of a Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC consortium on emergency
warnings and crisis communication*

Mr. Rob Webb
* Queensland Regional Director of the Bureau of Meteorology*

Details: Tuesday, 14 July 2015 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the University of
Queensland, Brisbane
<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/d/australia--university-of-queensland/events/>

Please register for your free tickets at:
https://amos2015-brisbane-seminar.eventbrite.com.au

--
*Melissa Lyne*
Australian Meteorological & Oceanographic Society