[ASC-list] review: PCST summer school Bristol

Ruth O'Connor ruthoc at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 24 07:21:42 UTC 2015

I was lucky enough to attend the International Network forPublic Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Doctoral Summer School in Bristol,UK earlier this month. Hosted by the University of Western England, it was heldimmediately before the Science in Public(SiP) conference which made it an attractive option for students from furtherafield like myself.
The format was a combination of lectures from experienced researcherssuch as Maja Horst and Brian Trench, practical sessions on topics such asgetting research published, and the opportunity for all students to present asnapshot of their research to the group for feedback.
I found the group of 23 students, primarily from Europe, tobe a good size for hearing about a range of research but small enough to beable to have a chat with everyone over the 2 days. I was surprised at the highnumber or students focusing on the role of scientists in science communication.In contrast relatively few were focusing on social media and none on citizen science(although this may just be a random artefact of who could attend).
The idea of science communication as a means of fosteringreflexivity kept coming up and resonated with me. I’m still digesting some ofMaja’s ideas about the role of science in culture and identity but enjoyed beingchallenged by new ways of thinking about what science communication means.
In sum, I would highly recommend the summer school (and conference)to Australian post grads. I got feedback and ideas about my own research and anup to date sense of where it fits in the broader science communication/ STS field.I also broadened my network, and renewed my enthusiasm for the work whilehanging out with some bright and fun people.
The next PCST post-graduate event will be attached to the PCST conference in Turkey next year.regardsRuth

one of the many science communication           some of the fantastic street art (break-dancing jesus)venues in Bristol__________________________________________________________
Ruth O'Connor
PhD candidate, University of Queensland
phone: 0434 195 364