[ASC-list] Bendigo Discovery Centre to close on July 12th

Kate Barnard manager at discovery.asn.au
Fri Jun 5 06:21:23 UTC 2015

Hello ASC folks,

I know many ASC members will be shocked and saddened to have heard the news
(e.g.
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3122877/discovery-science-and-tech
nology-centre-to-close/) that the Bendigo Discovery Centre
(www.discovery.asn.au) is due to close on July 12th.  Obviously all the
Discovery staff are devastated, but even more devastating is the incredible
loss to students, teachers, residents, and visitors to Central Victoria.
Having doubled our attendance in the last decade, we're now reaching nearly
30,000 visitors a year, including more than 11,000 school students. This is
the 20th year of operation for Discovery and we're really proud of all we've
achieved by providing inspiring and engaging programs and experiences for
students, teachers and public visitors.

We've been overwhelmed with the support and positive response from the
community.   The Discovery Centre has been flooded with phone calls, emails,
and social media comments from people saying how much they love the
Discovery Centre and why it is such an invaluable asset to the community.
We even had a community member start this petition to express their support:

https://www.change.org/p/bendigo-city-council-state-parilaiment-of-victoria-
immediately-renew-funding-to-the-discovery-science-and-technology-centre-of-
bendigo

The mayor of Bendigo, Cr Peter Cox recently said he would like to see
Discovery survive and is facilitating a meeting between key stakeholders:

https://www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/About_the_City/News_and_Engagement/Media_Rele
ases/Mayor_and_Discovery_Centre_Chair_to_meet_with_key_stakeholders#.VXE4jdK
qqkp

While I am hopeful that this will find a way forward, if another partner for
the centre can't be found the inevitable outcome will be that we will close
on July 12th.

I would certainly invite anyone in the region to come and visit us before
July 12th.  While we are obviously sad about the closure, we are excited
about our upcoming school holiday program which promises to be a lot of fun:

http://www.discovery.asn.au/index.php/whats-up/discovery-events

Discovery has been very lucky to have support from many members of the ASC
network over the years.  Thank you to everyone who has been involved.

With sadness,

Kate Barnard

Kate Barnard

Discovery Manager

7 Railway Place, Bendigo VIC 3550
+61 3 5444 4400
 <mailto:manager at discovery.asn.au> manager at discovery.asn.au
         <https://www.facebook.com/discovery.bendigo> Description:
cid:image004.jpg at 01D087FE.693FDBA0
<https://i.instagram.com/discovery.bendigo> Description:
cid:image006.jpg at 01D087FE.693FDBA0
<http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255347-d2227397-Reviews-Di
scovery_Science_and_Technology_Centre-Bendigo_Victoria.html> Description:
cid:image008.jpg at 01D087FE.693FDBA0         <http://www.discovery.asn.au/>
www.discovery.asn.au