[ASC-list] Vic-Event: Science Reading of The Hard Problem

George Aranda george.aranda at deakin.edu.au
Mon Oct 26 01:43:34 UTC 2015

Like to come at science from an unconventional angle? Think you've got some acting chops?

ASC-Victoria is having a 'reading' of a play, "The Hard Problem". Penned by the great playwright, Tom Stoppard, it was performed at the National Theatre, London, in January 2015.

We'll sit around in a circle with drinks and nibbles and 'read' the play together. We will act our various parts, get into the roles, explore the science and have a whole lot of fun :)

Synopsis:
Above all don't use the word good as though it meant something in evolutionary science. Hilary, a young psychology researcher at a brain-science institute, is nursing a private sorrow and a troubling question at work, where psychology and biology meet. If there is nothing but matter, what is consciousness? This is 'the hard problem' which puts Hilary at odds with her colleagues who include her first mentor Spike, her boss Leo and the billionaire founder of the institute, Jerry. Is the day coming when the computer and the fMRI scanner will answer all the questions psychology can ask? Meanwhile Hilary needs a miracle, and she is prepared to pray for one.

When: Thursday November 5th, 6pm for a 6:30 start till 8:30pm
Where: Embiggen Books, (197-203 Lt Lonsdale Street Melbourne (Phone: 03 9662 2062) Right next to the State Library between Swanston and Russell Streets on the outside of the QV building.)
Cost: $10. Copies of the play will be provided for the night, wine and nibbles.
Bonus: If you want to take home your own copy, for those that attend, you can get the play for 50% off RRP of $23 (Discounted price: $11.50)
For ASC members (you can bring a friend)

RSVP me ASAP. Places will strictly be kept to 10 due to the nature of the night. A few places are left.

--
Dr George Aranda
Science Education Research Fellow
e: george.aranda at deakin.edu.au

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.