[ASC-list] Writing Clear Science Workshops (Sep. - Dec. 2015)
info at writingclearscience.com.au
Tue Sep 1 04:28:38 UTC 2015
2015 Writing Clear Science Workshops
*What we teach:*
We teach how to write clearly and succinctly, without sacrificing
We teach you how to get your thoughts down clearly and how to increase your
efficiency as a writer. We teach how to write and design documents
according to audience (e.g. industry, peer review), purpose (e.g.
monitoring report, journal article) and the type of research or project
problem that needs to be solved.
We review the standard scientific reporting framework, how to prepare
reports and papers, and discuss how to clearly and concisely communicate a
research project to a chosen audience. In addition, across the two days, we
conduct editing, writing and re-writing exercises, where we teach how to
improve writing through effective editing skills and critical review
*How we teach:*
- Through small workshops that are instructive, interactive and
- We create a comfortable environment where you can participate
at your own pace.
*Who we teach:*
- Any person who writes about science: scientists, science
students and science professionals.
*What we understand:*
- Why writing is a struggle for many people.
- How to simplify the writing process and improve efficiency.
*What we provide:*
- Exercises that allow you to write about your own projects and
- Improved writing skills and a writing toolkit for future
- Editing & feedback on your writing.
*Day 1: Writing clearly & succinctly*
- Tackling common and unique writing problems
- Improving writing productivity
- Effective sentence structure
- Writing clearly, accurately & efficiently
*Day 2: Writing reports & papers**
- Effective paragraph and document structure
- Linking ideas and topics through your document
- Clarifying your topic and project problem.
- Document design according to audience & purpose
(* Day 1 enrolment required)
*2015 Open Workshop Calendar:*
Wed. 9th – Thurs. 10th Sept. CBD Brochure
| Book now <http://www.trybooking.com/DOQN> (*2 places available).*
Wed 16th - Thurs. 17th Dec. CBD Download Brochure
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/EBKZ>
Wed. 23rd - Thurs. 23rd Sept. CBD Download Brochure
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/EBJW>
Wed. 25th - Thurs. 26th Nov. UNSW Download Brochure
Book via Trybooking <http://www.trybooking.com/FDIW>
*What it costs:*
- $370 per day (GST incl.) minus 10% for early bird bookings or group
- Fees include workshop registration, editing of a sample of your writing,
course certificate, detailed handouts, the Writing Clear Science exercise
handbook and resources; morning & afternoon tea.
*In-House Writing Workshops*
- Writing Clear Science also offers *In-House Writing Workshops*. We can
offer a 1-3 day workshop that is tailored to your needs. Rates are charged
*About the facilitator:*
Dr Marina Hurley worked for 20 years as a research scientist. In 2005 she
designed the Writing Clear Science writing course, and since then has
personally facilitated over0 writing workshops.
- ‘It was highly relevant to the work we do every day with plenty
of variety to maintain our interest. Also a non-threatening
approach/environment allowing all participants to feel comfortable.’
- 'Wide breadth of writing skills covered with good detail.
Excellent handouts for future reference.'
- ‘This workshop made all the difference, as it allows time to
really think about the writing process, and then practice and solidify
For further information, including course details:
- go to www.writingclearscience.com.au,
- or contact Dr Marina Hurley: 0416-097-979; info at writingclearscience.com.au
Dr Marina Hurley
Lecturer & Consultant
*Writing Clear Science *
Visiting Fellow, Faculty of Science, UNSW
P.O. Box 2373
info at writingclearscience.com.au
marinahurley at gmail.com (alternative email contact)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASC-list