[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne, Wed 16th Sept, 6:30pm - Prof Maria Forsyth “Energy Storage for a Sustainable Environment”

David Vaux vaux at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Sep 8 22:20:05 UTC 2015

Free, all welcome (booking not needed). Bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, located in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)
Wednesday 16 September  2015, 6:30 pm

 Professor Maria Forsyth
 Australian Laureate Fellow
Chair Electromaterials and Corrosion Sciences
“Energy Storage for a Sustainable Environment”

Our reliance on fossil fuels must become very limited.. Its impact on our environment including the air we breathe, the temperatures we feel and the destruction of our natural heritage is clear and now more than ever we have the power to change the way we generate and use energy.  Renewable energy including solar, wind and wave sources are available today at competitive prices, however, our ability to use these 24/7 relies on our ability to store energy when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow.  Battery technologies already have revolutionised our lives through our use of portable electronics. It’s now time to further develop these to revolutionise the way we use renewables. In this talk we will discuss new developments in bigger, cheaper and safer batteries.

Professor Maria Forsyth is a Materials Scientist who has made major contributions to the research and development of novel materials that enable safer, higher performance battery technologies. She has been one of the leaders of the Australian Centre of Excellence in Electromaterials Science (ACES) since its inception over a decade ago and leads a team at Deakin University working on materials that can control ion and electron transport with applications in vast fields from large scale energy generation and storage, to biocompatible devices and to control degradation of metal structures. Prof. Forsyth is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Sciences and finalist of the 2014 Eureka Prize for Research Mentoring.
Forthcoming Talk:

Wednesday  21st October Dr Graeme O’Keefe, Austin Health, The Physics of Positron Emission Tomography

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

 Further Info:     David Vaux  9345 2941  davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com <mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>

http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/ <http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/>

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.