[ASC-list] VIC Event: 7 October - Dead Dirt - a ThoughtLAB-14 event facilitated by Maxine McKew

Cristen Teen cteen at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Sep 28 05:06:43 UTC 2015

Dead Dirt - a ThoughtLAB-14 event facilitated by Maxine McKew

Date: Wednesday 7 October 2015
Time: 6pm-7pm
Venue: LAB-14, Carlton Connect Initiative at the University of Melbourne, 700 Swanston Street, Carlton

Book here: http://carltonconnect.com.au/dead-dirt/
Tickets: $14 general / $10 concession (includes a complimentary glass of wine)

Concrete fills the vast open land, fruit, meat and vegetables are 3D printed, and the need for new antibiotics was supplanted by virus technology long ago. It is the year 2050 where Dirt is Dead in our hearts and minds.

News that much of the world’s soils have only five more fertile harvests remaining is met largely with indifference. Surely technology will save us?

However, one world government is concerned and appoints you leader of its ‘Soil Army’. With your panel of experts, it is your task to imagine how we will reconnect citizens to the soil. Can you save our soil and with it, everyone on Earth?

Facilitated by Maxine McKew, Honorary Fellow, Melbourne School of Education and author of MUP publication, Class Act.

Dead Dirt is a ThoughtLAB-14 event where we invite a guest panel to interact with the audience to collaborate on ideas, analyse evidence and dream alternative futures.

We also invite you to join us after this event for the opening of Dirty Secrets, an exhibition celebrating the International Year of Soil 2015. More info: http://carltonconnect.com.au/dirty-secrets/

Panel members:
Lizzie Brown – former CEO, Engineers without Borders
Søren Dahlgaard – artist
Helen Rowe – Principal, CoDesign Studio
Dr Tony Weatherley – soil scientist, Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Science, University of Melbourne