[ASC-list] Sydney event - Slippery surfaces: How nanoscience is changing our material world

Lisa Bailey LBailey at riaus.org.au
Tue Apr 12 04:01:39 UTC 2016

Not our event just posting to share- please pass on to anyone who may be interested:

Public event

Slippery surfaces: How nanoscience is changing our material world
Professor Joanna Aizenberg
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, USA
Tuesday 19 April
6.00pm - 7.30pm

Details see http://sydney.edu.au/nano/documents/launch/sydney-ideas-slippery-surfaces.pdf
Discover how Professor Joanna Aizenberg's research is inspired by biology to design slippery surfaces that mimic
those found in nature. Her novel nanostructured materials will have huge impacts in areas as diverse as medicine,
construction, shipping industries, aircraft industries, fluid handling and transportation, and optical sensing.

Inspired by the slippery surfaces of a pitcher plant, Professor Aizenberg and team have invented new technology
to create self-healing, anti-fouling materials, called Slippery, Lubricant-Infused Porous Surfaces, or SLIPS. These
novel nanostructured materials outperform state-of-the-art materials in their ability to resist ice and microbes
sticking to surfaces, repel various simple and complex liquids, prevent marine fouling, or reduce drag.

The team have also worked out generalised design principles to make stable, shear-tolerant nanostructured SLIPS, as
well as low-cost, scalable methods to manufacture these coatings on glass, ceramics, polymers, fabrics and metals.