[ASC-list] Questacon Invention Convention needs you!

Hannah Feldman feldman.hannah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 05:22:11 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

The Regional Questacon Invention Convention is looking for Mentors!

The Invention Convention is a three day hands on workshop for secondary students aged 14-18, exploring design, technology, innovation and entrepreneurship. Over the three days,  students will be prototyping physical solutions to a Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle themed challenge, tinkering with anything from electronics and robots to wood, plastic, and hot glue.

This year, Whyalla and Adelaide regional Invention Conventions will take place on 12-14 and 19-21 July, respectively, at University of South Australia campuses in each location.

Important info:

The Mentor position is a volunteer one, and may require a small amount of preparation in the form of a presentation showing who you are, what you do, and how you use innovation in the every day;
Mentors are invited to attend the Invention Convention either on Tuesday or Wednesday, usually for a presentation before lunch, and then to mingle with students and assist them in their prototyping process after lunch. Total approx. 2-3 hours (can be negotiated either way in open discussion later);
We will also be holding a showcase event for students to present their inventions to their peers, parents, and friends. Mentors are also encouraged to attend this showcase, on the Thursday afternoon (from approx. 2pm, for 1 hour);
Ideally, a background in innovation, ideas generation, entrepreneurship, product design, prototyping and manufacturing, science or technology research would be helpful (obviously not all these things, but some would be nice). In the past, Mentors have ranged from young Australians that have  formed a successful business from an idea/invention, through to research scientists engaged in industry focused outcomes.
If you are keen on being involved, or would like more information about Questacon Invention Convention or the roles of Mentors, please feel free to contact me at hannah.feldman at questacon.edu.au or 02 6270 2923.

If you know students in each area that would be interested in attending, they can submit an EOI here!

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kind regards,

Hannah

Hannah Feldman

A/g Innovation Mentor

Questacon Smart Skills Initiative

P: 02 6270 2923   |   M: 0438 901 714

E: hannah.feldman at questacon.edu.au

Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre

A Division of the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Innovation and Science

60 Denison Street Deakin

PO Box 5322 Kingston ACT 2604 Australia

www.questacon.edu.au

The Department acknowledges the traditional owners of the country throughout Australia

and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to them

and their cultures and to the elders past and present.

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it,
is intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read,
forward, copy or retain any of the information.  If you received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender by return
e-mail or telephone.

The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free
from viruses or any other defects.  You assume all liability for any
loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening
or using the attachments.

The security of emails transmitted in an unencrypted environment
cannot be guaranteed. By forwarding or replying to this email, you
acknowledge and accept these risks.