[ASC-list] Sydney Writers' Festival event on science writing

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Thu Apr 28 00:41:37 UTC 2016

Hi all,

The Sydney Writers' Festival (May15-22) is pushing beyond the boundaries of
literary fiction and embracing science, thanks to the efforts of program
manager Kate Steinweg.

This year features several great science-focused events, but one I thought
would be of particular interest to ASC members is a panel event on science
writing, featuring our very own Wilson da Silva, Guardian environment
reporter Michael Slezak, professor of physics and astronomy at Columbia
University and author Janna Levin:

*"Science is one of the most powerful tools we have to understand the world
and our place in it, yet public conversation around big issues like
medicine, technology, space and genetics is often hijacked by hype and
misinformation. How do you hold the public’s attention long enough to
impart the fascinating stories behind sensational headlines? Meet the
experts who not only know their stuff, but can communicate with a
storyteller’s flair. Stellar science writers Janna Levin, Wilson da Silva
and Michael Slezak speak to Bianca Nogrady, science journalist and editor
of Best Australian Science Writing 2015, about the challenges of exploring
complex issues in an age of instant gratification".*

Tickets are available at
http://www.swf.org.au/program/swf2016/the-beauty-of-truth-writing-science-157
.

There are also a host of other events around science themes, including
Night of the Nerds hosted by Adam Spencer, Peter Doherty and Tim Flannery
talking about climate change, and Janna Levin talking about black holes and
gravitational waves: http://www.swf.org.au/program/science-environment

Hope to see some of you there.

*Freelance science journalist and author*
www.biancanogrady.com, 0411 420 913, Blackheath, NSW, Australia

*The Best Australian Science Writing 2015
<http://www.newsouthbooks.com.au/books/best-australian-science-writing-2015>*
- Editor (New South, 2015)

*The End: The Human Experience of Death <http://www.theendbook.net>*
(Penguin Random House, 2013)

*The Sixth Wave**: How to Succeed in a Resource-Limited World *
<http://www.sixthwave.org>(Penguin Random House, 2010)