[ASC-list] Melb & online event Tuesday: Science of risk, health and making informed choices.

Laura Boland Laura.Boland at epa.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 12 07:08:53 UTC 2016

Hi ASCers (particularly those interested in risk communication, communicating for public health and behaviour change, or those who write about health and wellness).

In partnership with RMIT University, EPA Victoria is presenting a panel discussion on risk, health and making informed choices, as part of National Science Week. Join the conversation in person or online on Tuesday evening:

'Risky business or worried well? The science of what and why we fear'

Why do we reach for a beer but run from asbestos? Or ride a bicycle for fitness despite the potential for an accident? It can often be difficult to weigh up potential risks, so how can we make informed decisions for our health?

Health advice comes at us from a range of sources - from Facebook friends to the World Health Organization. We all want to make the best choices, but assessing risks and sorting through available evidence isn't always easy.

Join us with host Tanya Ha and our panel of experts in health and environmental risk, communication and media as we navigate some of the common difficulties, and help sort the facts from the fiction to find the information we need to make informed choices.

When: 6-8 pm Tuesday, 16 August 2016
Where: Kaleide Theatre, RMIT University, 360 Swanston Street, Melbourne
RSVP: Register to attend in person (seats are limited) - or participate online at http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/our-work/programs/science-week/panel-discussion-on-risk-and-health

Our panellists are:
Dr Victor Kabay - Human health risk advisor, EPA Victoria
Professor Linda Brennan - School of Media and Communication, RMIT University
Dr Libby Rumpff - School of BioSciences, University of Melbourne
Andrew Masterson - author and journalist (science and technology)

How to participate online:
The event will also be streamed live online at www.epa.vic.gov.au/ScienceWeek2016<http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/ScienceWeek2016> at 6 pm (AEST) on Tuesday 16 August.
Online participants will be able to ask questions live via Twitter using #riskywellness

More info at: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/our-work/programs/science-week/panel-discussion-on-risk-and-health

Laura Boland
Broker - Applied Science Communications
Advisory & Intelligence, Applied Sciences

Environment Protection Authority Victoria
Ernest Jones Drive Macleod VIC 3085 | GPO Box 4395 Melbourne Vic 3001 | DX 210675
* 0384582461 | E laura.boland at epa.vic.gov.au<mailto:laura.boland at epa.vic.gov.au> | www.epa.vic.gov.au<http://www.epa.vic.gov.au>

A healthy environment that supports a liveable and prosperous Victoria.

Follow us  <http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTH9sYvphkFxGlAsIyTecJQ>   <https://twitter.com/EPA_VICTORIA>

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL

This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and may
also be the subject of legal and/or parliamentary privilege. Any personal
information contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any
purpose other than the purpose for which you have received it.

If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any
review,re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by State and Commonwealth Acts Of Parliament including the
Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000.
If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender
immediately and delete all copies of this transmission together with any
attachments.