[ASC-list] Media training in Sydney next Friday - then Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne

Toni Stevens toni at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Aug 23 03:24:58 UTC 2016

Dear ASCers,
We have dates for our next few media training workshops in Melbourne and Sydney.
If you know of anyone who is interested, please forward this on. And we can offer ASC members 20 per cent off.
Media and Communication training for scientists
Conveying the complexity of your research, your life's work, into a 30-second grab for the media can be hard.
The solution is to shape the essence of your science into a story.
Over the course of a day, two experienced science communicators will work with you to find the story in your research.
Over the years we've helped Monash launch the world's first printed jet engine, revealed the loss of half the coral on the Great Barrier Reef, helped CERN announce the Higgs boson, and revealed the link between CSIRO's Wi-Fi patent and Aussie astronomy.
We will help you find the right words to explain it in a way that works for the media, as well as for government, industry and other stakeholders.
Working journalists from television, print and radio will explain what makes news for them and you will practice being interviewed in front of a camera and on tape.
The training will help you feel more comfortable in dealing with journalists when media opportunities arise.
We've got courses coming up in:

*         Melbourne: Thursday 27 October, Tuesday 13 December

*         Sydney: Friday 2 September, Tuesday 15 November

*         Adelaide: Wednesday 5 October

*         Perth: Wednesday 14 September
Register now via EventBrite<http://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/science-in-public-8313184779> to confirm your place.
We can also hold courses in other locations or on other dates. If you have at least four participants, we can probably find others in your area to make a course viable. If you can guarantee six participants, then we're happy to confirm a course in your city/campus.
Media training courses are $800 +GST per person, and include lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and lattes on demand.
Or if you want a brief introduction to the media for a larger group (20 to 200 people), talk to us about our 'Meet the Press' sessions.
If you'd like to book a place in a course, contact Ellie Michaelides at ellie at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:ellie at scienceinpublic.com.au> or on (03) 9398 1416.
You can read more about our courses at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/training<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/training>.
Kind regards,
Niall