[ASC-list] Today at 1:30pm AEDT online: meet Sabine Schreuder, Scientists and Mathematicians in Schools (SMiS).

Kali Madden office at asc.asn.au
Wed Dec 7 22:20:29 UTC 2016

Dear ASC-List,

We have two member guests today.

Today's first member guest is the WA Project Officer with Scientists and
Mathematicians in Schools (SMiS), a national skilled volunteering program
managed by CSIRO. Sabine creates and supports long-term, professional
partnerships between school teachers and STEM (science, technology,
engineering and maths) professionals.

The idea is to:

· bring cutting edge STEM into the classroom by giving the teacher an
opportunity to develop activities with their STEM professional,

· give STEM professionals an opportunity to share their love of
science/maths/technology with a whole new audience and,

· give students the opportunity to engage with people who use the science
and maths they are learning in the ‘real’ world.

Over 2000 SMiS partnerships are in action across Australia right now, and
over 850 teachers are on waiting lists for a partnership – so we are always
on the lookout for more STEM professionals to volunteer with us. If your
organisation is looking to encourage staff to volunteer in schools, we may
be able to assist!

Having worked with SMiS for 7 years, Sabine has learned a thing or two
about engaging and supporting teachers and volunteer STEM professionals and
is more than happy to share her insights.

More about the program:
http://www.csiro.au/en/Education/Programs/SMiS
https://twitter.com/CSIROSMiS

Connect with Sabine at:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sabine-schreuder-735a1826

Join us online today to meet Sabine!

You can read more about the event and post your related questions and
comments here even if you know you can't attend live:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1176954582387982/

Use the "Show in My Timezone" button on the webinar page here
http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm to quickly convert our *1:30pm AEDT*
time to your own.

This webinar is the forty ninth Meet the Member in the 2016 ASC webinar
series. The series is free for all current members of the ASC and SCANZ.

Use this link to register to meet Sabine (register to receive both live
event access and replay links):

http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm

Please NOTE that some users are having difficulty registering through the
above link due to an undiagnosed browser issue. If you cannot see the
events and registration buttons please contact the office for a direct
invitation to attend.

To keep up with new events as they come online you can subscribe to events
on the events tab at the ASC national Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/auscicomm/events

If you missed a webinar and want to check the replay you can do that from
the webinar portal on the "Past Webinars" tab here:

http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm

Replays are also available from the member-only web page here (you must
login to access this page):

http://community.asc.asn.au/page/MemberWebinars

If you haven't already, subscribe to our discussion list from here:

Join the ASC Facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/auscicomm/

Register for individual events to receive your webinar invite, automated
event reminders and replay links from here or email for a direct invitation:

http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm

Contact us on members at asc.asn.au with any questions, suggestions and other
comments.

Best,

Kali
Executive Officer
Australian Science Communicators

* ASC Member note: if you have NOT been receiving our monthly member-only
newsletter direct to your inbox your membership may have lapsed or your
email address may need updating. Contact office at asc.asn.au to check your
membership status if uncertain or login to update your details at
http://community.asc.asn.au/.

--

Kali Madden

& ASC Conference Director 2010, 12, 14, 16 and 17.

http://2017conf.asc.asn.au/

http://asc.asn.au/

http://community.asc.asn.au/
<http://asc.asn.au/>

<http://www.asc.asn.au/>

Kali Madden
Executive Officer, Conference Director, Australian Science Communicators
The national forum for science communicators and science journalists.

e.office at asc.asn.au
w.http://2017conf.asc.asn.au/
w.http://asc.asn.au/
Skype. office.asc <#>